Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Pipe key for older safe??

I have a key very similar to one shown on the Lock Collectors Europe Key collection webpage:

http://www.lockcollectors.eu/members/keys/_index.htm

It is described as a pipe key for older safe. What do they mean by pipe key?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170810_035452-1067x600.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	18238Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170810_035355-1067x600.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	258.6 KB 
ID:	18239

gman, if you look again at the photos in your link the captions are above the photos, so it's actually the intricately engraved key below that's described as the pipe key, the one like yours is the caption above it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	18240

Pipe keys (in UK) are those where the stem terminates at the bit end with a female hole or pipe,as opposed to a solid pin like your one has.
    Pipe keys are more commonly called 'barrel' keys in USA.

Your key is very interesting, the cruciform section to the pin and the large bits almost forming a tunnel, also makes a change to see something with proper patina that hasn't been cleaned up! Very nice.

Thanx How, for the clarification. Any idea what my key might have been used for?

Quote Originally Posted by gmanphotog View Post
    Thanx How, for the clarification. Any idea what my key might have been used for?
    my key might have been used for a strongbox chest with latching lock. Such as an 'armada chest', i.e. strong German coffer/Flemish kiste.

Wow! Very cool. So is this essentially a key for a warded lock mechanism, or is this some other type of mechanism.

Thank you for your response.

Default warded lock key

It is a bit key for a warded lock. And it is all there and complete — it is not a skeleton key.

And before anyone thinks disparagingly of wards, they are still useful. For example, wards in the keyway of Yale's pin tumbler lock locate the key more precisely, and stop it slopping up and down, as the original feather key could. They can also hamper picking of pin tumbler locks (if the [bullet] wards are constricting enough) and other locks with movable detainers.

Enlightening!

Thank you once again ChubbBrama

What baffles me is the overall general arrangement of it- it has an odd asymmetrical cut on one end of the bit (which the Lock Collectors Europe example doesn't have), but apart from that both examples seem more akin to a door key than that of a safe or chest.
    Both are pin and not pipe, and the overall length and proportion of the middle stem to the cruciformed end are more like a door key than for a safe or chest.

Also, the big question for me- why on earth has it got a collar ? It's almost as if it doesn't know what it's supposed to fit !
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 16-08-17 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Hopefully now makes more sense

What a work of art. It's good to see that your key hasn't been messed with or polished :-)

Thread Information