Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Old York Safe with inner safe door

i have an old york safe and lock safe inside a safe it has no wheels , inside the front door there is a decal that says panama pacific international exposition winner 1915 , both locks are open and i have the combination to the outer lock but not the inner i dont know the sequence to the outer combination i just have the numbers , is there any way to find the combination to the inner safe and what is the normal sequence or procedure for entering the outer combination? also is there any way to figure out the date of production? the only numbers i have found are underwriters laboratory inspection number 1766. any help or info would be greatly appreciated. thanks Ed Baker
    Last edited by Dean Nickel; 29-02-12 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Title search

Hi Ed, You are going to have typically a 3 or 4 number combination on the outer door lock. If you post which it is (3or4), I will send you the sequence. Pictures of the safe and inner door lock would be a big help in answering some of your other questions. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by bbcci View Post
    Hi Ed, You are going to have typically a 3 or 4 number combination on the outer door lock. If you post which it is (3or4), I will send you the sequence. Pictures of the safe and inner door lock would be a big help in answering some of your other questions. Bill
    i will take some pictures and add them . the combination is five numbers on the outer lock and i dont know anything on the inner lock. i really apreciate the responco and i will take some pics soon and add them

Dialing sequence on its way to your pm mail box, hope it helps. Bil

these are the pictures of the safe. thanks very much for all the info.
    ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-02-28_02-13-42_814.jpg   2012-02-28_02-13-57_453.jpg   2012-02-28_02-14-11_156.jpg   2012-02-28_02-14-20_816.jpg   2012-02-28_02-14-32_976.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by bbcci View Post

hi Bill
    i have had some time to do some checking and i removed the lock after having no luck with the combination they gave me with the safe they were not sure about it because the manager at the office at mitchell dam where i got it said he had been there 22 years and it had never been locked since he was there. anyway the combination they gave me was five numbers and there are only four plates in the lock , the plates are numbered 1-4 from the back of the lock (farthest from the knob) there are rings inside each plate with a notch that lines up with numbers on the plate number 1 lines up with 12 , number 2 lines up with 70 , number 3 lines up with 24 and number four lines up with 60 is this possibly the combination and do you have any sugestions on the way to proceed from here? thanks for any info. Ed

If it is a 4 wheel lock it might need the 5th number to "drop in" the driver and pull the bolt back.

Have pictures of the lock?

Hi Ed, do any of the numbers you were given as combo match up with the indicated numerals on the wheels?
    Have you seen the attached thumbnail pictures Rog submitted in this post....
    http://www.antique-locks.com/safes-s...assembled.html It might be quite similar to yours and shows the drop in notch and driver nicely that Dean mentions.
    If that wheel pack doesn't look just like yours....yes please, more pictures.

to answer some questions , i am not the brightest bulb in the box , i have lost the card with the combination to the outer safe that they gave me i remember there was five numbers and the last one was one and you are right the last number has to be turned clockwise to engage the bolt to open the lock . i have added some pics. of the lock if this helps any .
    thanks Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-03-10_22-14-47_319.jpg   2012-03-10_22-14-58_95.jpg   2012-03-10_22-15-12_156.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Halflock View Post
    If it is a 4 wheel lock it might need the 5th number to "drop in" the driver and pull the bolt back.

Have pictures of the lock?
    you are right the fifth number has to be clockwise to let the lever drop in to engage the lock the fifth number was one but i have stupidly lost the other numbers they were on a card that has come up missing. i am going to have to wing it, there does not appear to be any wear on the mechanism i am just going to have to figure out the sequence and numbers , i am going to start with the numbers that line up on the notches in each disc.
    thanks for any help or info Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-03-10_22-15-12_156.jpg   2012-03-10_22-14-58_95.jpg   2012-03-10_22-14-47_319.jpg  

Thread Information