Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Sicker Safe

Default Sicker Safe

Hi all i have just come into possession of a Sicker Safe. I can find very little on actual Sicker Safe Company other than they commenced manufacturing in approx. 1873 and the company was wound up in 1884 after which F. Whitfeild purchased the patent and may have continued to manufacture/Badge under the Sicker Safe Company.

What i would love some help with is:

1. Year of Manufacture;
    2. Model;
    3. Valuation; and
    4. How i would repair/Replace one of the licking bolts.

Safe in full working order with Key. See pictures attached.

Thanking you in advance.

Default Sicker Safe - Pictures

Sorry, pictures now attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image_safe_#3.jpeg   Image_safe_#2.jpeg   image_safe_#1.jpeg   Image_safe_#4.jpeg  

Nice safe Matthew, had the thin pressed makers plate off one years ago but never actually saw one out in the metal.
    1- 1870s
    2- Double Grip Bolt Safe
    3- Anyone's guess- try eBay and filter search to completed/sold listings only. Australia is vast and values could vary massively depending on where you are
    4- Confused here, why the need to fabricate/repair a locking bolt? You describe it as in fully working order with key and the locking bolts look fine in the photo.

They made some big claims in their adverts of totally drill proof Adamantine steel,, totally unpickable Duplex locks and 'only safe that can't be opened without a key' etc, but haven't a clue if in reality they were any good or not!

Huw

thanks for the feedback. In regards to item 4. The top locking bolt (out of site) on the hinged side of the door is missing. The other three still work fine and lock the safe. My first thoughts were to pull open the locking inside cover and some how see if I can take out one of the good ones and have it replicated from a fab shop, but would rather replace it with an original part if anyone had one or an old door from a similar safe they were looking to offload.

I would think your chances of getting an authentic replacement are zero, but you never know unless you try!

Do the bolts on the hinge side actually slide in and out? Or are they fixed? Or are they the same system as the ones in the photo?

I have never seen this system before. It certainly looks interesting.

Hi Chubby

yes 4 locking bolts and all 4 lock into place, 2 on each side of the door. The ones on the hinged side are not fixed they slide into their slots just like the ones you see in the photo. Only problem is the top bolt on the hinged side is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    What i would love some help with is:

1. Year of Manufacture;
    2. Model;
    3. Valuation; and
    4. How i would repair/Replace one of the licking bolts.

Safe in full working order with Key. See pictures attached.

Thanking you in advance.

The Sicker Patent was taken out in 1872 by James Fenton Elwell and J Groves #2048.
    The first Sicker safes would probably have been made by Groves who was a safe maker in his own right.

Thread Information