Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1890s (?) Diebold

I was able to obtain this old Diebold from an estate in Arizona but the combination was not accurate. It had been locked for years and the contents were unknown.There had been many attempts by different people and locksmiths to open with no success. I was hoping not to have to cause damage to open it.
    After about three hours I managed to get both doors open.
    I was very pleased with the machine work on the backside of the inner vault door.
    Funny thing the outer doors combo knob is marked "Diebold Cafe Company" instead of the word Safe.
    I am new to this site and hobby.Any info (thoughts )that anyone may have would be appreciated.
    Mordy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0684.JPG   IMG_0683.JPG   2017-11-25 16.03.36.jpg   IMG_0685.JPG   2017-11-25 15.43.29.jpg  

That's a beautiful safe in beautiful condition Mordy, it's always a real pleasure to see them like that.

All the little scuffs and chips, the patination on the metals and fading of the paints tells a story, and gives them an inimitable character that's instantly erased on safes that get restored.

Looks superb as it is and that inner bankers chest is the icing on the cake for me! It's amazing to think that you can use it and at the same time be preserving it like that for generations to come.

Wow, that is a nice safe. Even I would leave that one alone. I wish I could find one in that nice. My finds are always in tough shape and require a lot of work.

Tell us more about how you opened it.

I envy you that.

I would not go beyong routine maintenance- lubrication etc.

Default Diebold

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    I envy you that.

I would not go beyong routine maintenance- lubrication etc.

Well, that would be my next question as far as lubricarion.

I have removed and cleaned everything from the inner vaullt but for the life of me cant see how to lubricate the dial assembly as it appears to be encased in the door itself with no access. This dial was stiff to turn in one area and I would like to be able to lube to see if that solves the problem.
    None of the local smiths have any clue.
    Anyone have knowledge or ideas.

Default Diebold ??

Quote Originally Posted by Mordy View Post
    Well, that would be my next question as far as lubricarion.

I have removed and cleaned everything from the inner vaullt but for the life of me cant see how to lubricate the dial assembly as it appears to be encased in the door itself with no access. This dial was stiff to turn in one area and I would like to be able to lube to see if that solves the problem.
    None of the local smiths have any clue.
    Anyone have knowledge or ideas.

Wondering now if the four large screws that attach the sliders that the bolts go through are removed, if they possibly hold a rear plate on.
    Sure cant tell by close inspection if there is a seam there but they are the only pieces I have not removed yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0685.JPG  

Unfortunately the dial spindle does not go straight through the door. There is a triple gear pack embedded in the the door, and the only way to get to it is to delaminate the door itself. This gear pack allows the dial to be offset in relation to the lock inside. The dial will pull off once the center screw is removed and the lock inside can be removed as well. You may find the problem exists just with the dial or lock itself. Keep the pictures coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordy View Post
    Funny thing the outer doors combo knob is marked "Diebold Cafe Company" instead of the word Safe.
    A picture of this would be interesting to see!

Let me just say that delaminating a safe door is a pain in the butt. I've done several of these, and it's definitely a workout.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_9405b.jpg   DSC_9409b.jpg   DSC_9428b.jpg   DSC_9410b.jpg  

Excellent layout pictures and not some little 2 bolt door. Can you show the door completed? Are you in the trade or just a hard working collector?

Thread Information