Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Beard & Brother Time Lock of Unknown Type

I expect to receive this lock next week & am hoping to be able to identify it with the help of the staff of the Harry Miller lock collection, which has the only known example of the Type 3 lock. My lock appears to be a modified Type 2 (BEARD'S). The Type 3 is rare enough that I've been unable to locate a photo of it. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Jack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front door open.jpg   Front door closed.jpg   Front door open-2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sullivan View Post
    I expect to receive this lock next week & am hoping to be able to identify it with the help of the staff of the Harry Miller lock collection, which has the only known example of the Type 3 lock. My lock appears to be a modified Type 2 (BEARD'S). The Type 3 is rare enough that I've been unable to locate a photo of it. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Jack
    The principal differences between the Beard & Brother Type 2 time lock (AMERICAN GENIUS, photo on page 207) & my lock are twofold: one, the use of a bottom release vs. a side; and two, the incorporation of what is described as a 'coil-sprung piston...maintaining downward tension on the controlling lever' mechanism attached to the release linkage (lower left). The later, derived Mosler 1887 time lock (AMERICAN GENIUS pages 232 & 233), also incorporated this same coil-sprung piston device. The Mosler 1887 (http://www.my-time-machines.net/mosler_2mvt.htm was said to be available with either side or bottom release. My tentative conclusion is that my lock is a very late production Beard & Brother time lock, made just prior to the sale of their time lock assets to Mosler & incorporating late changes that don't seem to be described in their patents.

Jack
    Last edited by Jack Sullivan; 10-11-11 at 08:23 PM.

Default Timelock

I looked through all the pictures of the Harry Miller Collection that I have and did not find one of the type three. I don't remember if he showed it on the collection video series Harry did but if I get a chance to take a look I will.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobrules View Post
    I looked through all the pictures of the Harry Miller Collection that I have and did not find one of the type three. I don't remember if he showed it on the collection video series Harry did but if I get a chance to take a look I will.
    I was not aware of pix or video of the Miller collection, nor have I seen a catalog list of its holdings. A photo project along the lines of what AMERICAN GENIUS did for the Mossman collection would be an ambitious & expensive project that would likely take weeks & which would require the time & equipment of a professional photographer like Anne Day. It would be potentially a great public relations coup for LSI but people in the security business tend to be naturally protective.

I appreciate your interest & efforts & hope you can uncover something concrete about my lock. I'm sure photos exist of the items in the Miller collection but availability & access are another question.

Jack

Default Miller Collection

There was indeed a video series of the collection that Harry himself starred in showcasing his lock collection. I doubt it was comprehensive and it was a tough time for Mr. Miller when he made it but he muscled through it as he did with everything by all accounts. It is copyrighted 1992 by Mark S. Scuderi who I think produced it. The set I have is: 1 timelocks, 2 combination locks, 3 combination locks, 4 combination locks, 5 combination locks, 6 manipulation proof technology, 7 miscellaneous. It's on VHS so it's hard to scan through. Each one is about 90 min long.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobrules View Post
    There was indeed a video series of the collection that Harry himself starred in showcasing his lock collection. I doubt it was comprehensive and it was a tough time for Mr. Miller when he made it but he muscled through it as he did with everything by all accounts. It is copyrighted 1992 by Mark S. Scuderi who I think produced it. The set I have is: 1 timelocks, 2 combination locks, 3 combination locks, 4 combination locks, 5 combination locks, 6 manipulation proof technology, 7 miscellaneous. It's on VHS so it's hard to scan through. Each one is about 90 min long.
    I did a cursory searches with Google & on Amazon & came up empty. It would be a great addition to my video & lock collection.

Default In-focus pix of Beard time lock

The lock arrived today & I took advantage of the bright sun to take some pix that were more in focus that the ones off the eBay listing.

The door glass is missing but there are a number of custom glass shops in my area that should be able to make a replacement. I'm guessing 1/8" thick. Any comments on this & the proper adhesive?

BEARD'S & KING'S PAT are clearly visible in my shots.

Jack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails In focus closeup of BEARD KING'S PAT-2.JPG   Door open in focus mechanism.JPG   Mechanism in focus ckloseup - 1.JPG   Door closed in focus.JPG   In focus closeup of BEARD KING'S PAT.JPG  

Door open in focus mechanism - 3.JPG   Door open in focus mechanism - 2.JPG  

Default It is a Beard & Brother Type 3 Time Lock

I emailed my closeup pix of the lock to Dr. John Erroll, curator of the famous Mossman lock collection in NYC. He responded to me this AM as follows:

Hi Jack

Yes, you have found another example to the Beard Bros Type 3. Not a bad find for ebay and a really great price.

In the interest of accuracy & consistency I'm terminating this thread & will start a Type 3 thread.

Jack

Thread Information