Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default JunkUNC Combo Padlock

My first vintage combo lock for my collection

Unfortunately, it didn't come with the combination.

What might the number on the shackle be for and the number on the back, is it just a serial number? I read from a couple of sources that it was probably a 2 dial lock.
    If anyone could tell me if that is true and if its supposed to be turned right then left or something entirely different that would be great!

I found a patent that looks similar to it but the numbering is different.
    http://www.google.com/patents?id=2lp...404968&f=false

Any Help, Much Appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5665.jpg   IMG_5666.jpg   IMG_5664.JPG  

Brey, I have the identical padlock and mine is a 4 number combination. Mine is R-L-R-L open. It is however like a safe combo in that after setting the first number I have to go past it in the opposite direction to set the second number, then just stop at the third and forth numbers. It took me a little while playing with it to crack the combination, as like you I got mine without the combo. Good luck with it, it's a cool little lock. P.S. I don't know of any code lists for these locks. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Mark, that is very helpful!
    I wasn't able to find anything on a code list either.
    I noticed that the dial can be pulled out a little further on certain numbers and you are able to see the ball bearing underneath and I wondered if this was a flaw that could be used to determine some of the numbers. Either way, I'll eventually crack the code. Thanks again.
    ~B

Brey, I don't know how helpful this is, but here's a link to a web page that lists a lot of combination locks and their combo sequences. If you'll notice on the page it shows your lock with a 3 number combo, so it could be either 3 or 4 numbers. Mark
    http://vintagecombinationlocks.com/#junkunc
    Mark A. Billesbach

That was actually a good reference for me Mark.
    I wish the tag was available for it but I was thrilled to see some of the numbers that I thought it was... but unfortunately it did not work for me. :(
    I've tried over 500 combinations now and still no luck.
    Maybe sometime in the future I'll have a picture of it unlocked.
    ~B

Well, I've looked and American Lock doesn't have a record for the code stamped upon that lock.

Most of my collection is packed up ready for a move the first week of August but I do have one of the original 2 number combination locks in one of those boxes. I'm not sure if mine has a code number or not, but the construction is quite different from what is in your pictures. The back of mine has two raised channels that the shackle enters.

Of course with only two numbers in the combination it was really easy to figure out what it was. When I get moved and unpacked I'll get pictures of my lock.
    BBE.

Quote Originally Posted by Brey View Post
    That was actually a good reference for me Mark.
    I wish the tag was available for it but I was thrilled to see some of the numbers that I thought it was... but unfortunately it did not work for me. :(
    I've tried over 500 combinations now and still no luck.
    Maybe sometime in the future I'll have a picture of it unlocked.
    ~B

BBE, Thanks for checking.
    When I first thought it was a 2 dial, I tried all 225 combo possibilities.
    Heh, that's when Mark mentioned that it might be 3 or 4 dial.
    Still going through the combinations now.

Raised Channels for the shackle? I'd like to read the patent for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brey View Post
    Raised Channels for the shackle? I'd like to read the patent for that.
    Oddly enough I haven't been able to find a Junkunc patent dated earlier than 1926 and none of the ones found are for a combination lock.

I do know the company was started in 1912 by John Junkunc and was originally just named Junkunc Brothers until 1919 when they purchased an existing company American Lock. After that it was known as Junkunc Brothers American Lock Co. A company history document states that John Junkunc invented and patented the first dial combination padlock.
    BBE.

BBE, Did you notice the link I posted above?

http://www.google.com/patents?id=2lp...404968&f=false

Its the patent to a combination JunkUNC padlock. Patented: Jan.31, 1922

Brey, I'm pretty sure the patent that you showed is indeed the patent for your lock. as you noted the dial face looks different in regards to the numbers, but that's pretty common in patents as the final product can vary cosmetically, but the mechanics sre really what they're protecting. My lock C524846 looks identical to yours and has the grooves cut into the back side of the shackle like shown in the patent drawings. Also if you noticed he filed for the patent on Dec 1920 and was awarded the rights on Jan 31 1922 just like is on our locks. Good job digging that patent up. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Thread Information