Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast

For anyone interested in the monster crane hinged Giant Colossus i posted a while back, heres an elusive front view I found while having a big clear out of old stored photos.
    Would still like to know for definite if these units ever went into production..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	20011

Views:	32 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	20012

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    For anyone interested in the monster crane hinged Giant Colossus i posted a while back, heres an elusive front view I found while having a big clear out of old stored photos.
    Would still like to know for definite if these units ever went into production..

Views:	33 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	20011

Views:	32 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	20012
    It is only 2.5 tonnes - would it really have matched vaults, as they claim?

The stated weight, as mentioned before by myself and others, doesnt seem right ? 2.5 metric tonnes ! the door looks that heavy !

I would say that 2500kg for a 185 litre internal capacity safe was pretty good. Looking at its dimensions, the safe is physically not that big.

Quote Originally Posted by Redoubt View Post
    I would say that 2500kg for a 185 litre internal capacity safe was pretty good. Looking at its dimensions, the safe is physically not that big.
    Have to agree with Redoubt, at less than 4 foot tall but weighing 2.5 tons the Colossus is hardly a lightweight

Quote Originally Posted by Safeone View Post
    The stated weight, as mentioned before by myself and others, doesnt seem right ? 2.5 metric tonnes ! the door looks that heavy !
    Why? The entire safe is less than 4 foot tall with 6 inch walls and weighs 2.5 tons?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    It is only 2.5 tonnes - would it really have matched vaults, as they claim?
    I'm guessing it was horses for courses Tom, in that any formidable unit (Chubb, Tann, Fichet SLS,etc) with 6 inch walls of the toughest barrier is capable of competing as an alternative to a vault, but it would have to be realistic and comparable. Most likely typical 3.5 or 4 inch Bank 'Branch doors' was probably their intention, and not 33 inch Chubb Treasury's with a 2 foot thick slab of TDR like you're probably thinking!

The external dimensions equate to 813 litres. So if the internal volume is 185 litres, you have 628 litres of body. Now the assumption that the free space inside the back of the door more or less equals the volume of the external fittings- crane hinges etc- is necessarily inaccurate, but probably not too far from the truth, that gives a specific gravity of around 4 for the carcass. That is heavier than concrete but not approaching that of a hard alloy steel.

The cast inner door slab and bell casting for the body was more than likely an Aluminium alloy, most used it because of the weight and expense issues of Copper and Stainless steels, and ally is still a pretty good conductor of heat.
    Most also incorporated copper and stainless layers in the defences, but with Aluminium door slabs and bell castings, often poured as 'Aluramic' castings with random ceramic inserts in the mix which remained unaffected by the high temperatures of the molten alloy. Plus you notice they use the 'Cerastra' name for it.

I mentioned before I'd noticed a similarity of certain features of the Colossus with Bischoff's top models, and from memory I think they also used Aluramic castings on their TRTL30x6 units.

Left it a week since I posted that elusive front view to see who else would notice it's left hand hinged unlike the one on the spec sheet, but it didn't happen..

Default Left hander

I hadn't noticed! So it might be safe to assume that at least 2 were made.

That probably puts the production run ahead of teh SLS gem safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    I hadn't noticed! So it might be safe to assume that at least 2 were made.

That probably puts the production run ahead of teh SLS gem safe.
    Well that's been discussed over and over and I recall it was you every time chubby that couldn't accept that there was more than one SLS Gem made.

Lackasafe have demo videos of both left hand and right hinged Gems stood next to each other, in the smallest size, there's also a mid size Gem out there on the net to look at, and at least one was sacrificed for the TXTL60 testing. I'll go and get my abacus..

Thread Information