Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Broken Armoire Lock

There are 2 identical locks on my armoire and 1 is completely broken. Turning the knob on the door will not move the mechanism. Where do I find a replacement lock?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170506_143616_resized.jpg   20170506_143635_resized.jpg   20170506_143705_resized.jpg   20170506_143715_resized.jpg   20170506_143733_resized.jpg  

20170506_143756_resized.jpg  

sedator, it will probably be easier to just take the existing original lock to a competent locksmith and get it repaired.
    It doesn't matter what's broken in it or faulty, it should be a straightforward repair in the right hands, it might be a cracked latch-tail needs silver soldering, a new part making or something as simple as a broken spring. Whatevers gone wrong it will more than likely be easier than tracking down a lock that's a perfect identical match.

Default Thanks, but where?

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    sedator, it will probably be easier to just take the existing original lock to a competent locksmith and get it repaired.
    It doesn't matter what's broken in it or faulty, it should be a straightforward repair in the right hands, it might be a cracked latch-tail needs silver soldering, a new part making or something as simple as a broken spring. Whatevers gone wrong it will more than likely be easier than tracking down a lock that's a perfect identical match.

Dear Huw,
    That is a great idea. Is there a website you know of where I can find such a locksmith near my zip code 30022?
    Thanks,
    Gary

If you search the Associated Locksmiths of America site (ALOA) they have a 'find a locksmith' search function. Good Luck- you might of course be lucky and find someone with an exact replacement lock, but it's unlikely so the repair route is more than likely the easiest option.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    If you search the Associated Locksmiths of America site (ALOA) they have a 'find a locksmith' search function. Good Luck- you might of course be lucky and find someone with an exact replacement lock, but it's unlikely so the repair route is more than likely the easiest option.
    The ClearStar Security Network Network, of which I am a member; offers an on-line Listing of Reputable Security Professionals:
    https://www.clearstar.com/yellform.htm
    I note there are locksmiths located in both Norcross and Duluth Georgia which are believe are nearby who should be able to make your repair, finding an exact replacement is unlikely.

Pete Schifferli

This is a good opportunity to remind everybody that our sponsors (link just under the header on the right) might be able to help with all sorts of recent past locks/keymaking/repairs. The funding for this site is 100% provided by their commercial activities, in fact the company is now designated as 'not for profit' and not only provides the funding for this forum and other related web sites but is also provides the day to day funding for the History of Locks Museum and the all important 'permanent' museum building fund.

Just a selection of cut furniture locks for Armoire and the like.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cab lock types-01-750.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	17810

Default Broken Armoire Lock

Dear Brian,

I had no luck with the local locksmith.

Please send me a link to the company that has the locks pictured below.

I would be happy to support the sponsor company.

Thanks,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Morland View Post
    This is a good opportunity to remind everybody that our sponsors (link just under the header on the right) might be able to help with all sorts of recent past locks/keymaking/repairs. The funding for this site is 100% provided by their commercial activities, in fact the company is now designated as 'not for profit' and not only provides the funding for this forum and other related web sites but is also provides the day to day funding for the History of Locks Museum and the all important 'permanent' museum building fund.

Just a selection of cut furniture locks for Armoire and the like.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cab lock types-01-750.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	17810

Thread Information