Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Doing a bit more reading on Frederick S. Holmes, it appears he was the pre-eminent NYC vault designer of the Teens and early Twenties. Remote mounting of the locks was his thing, although I have still been unable to find any early patent to that effect. At least as early as 1912 he was using this design, requiring at least two attack points to be made. Sometimes the timelock is covered but the combinations are always protected on the inside by steel plates. So far I have found he used this idea not just on Remington Sherman and York but HHM and Mosler vaults, though not all were round doors. So the similarities seen between the RM and York doors were all his doing. Doug

Do you know of specific vaults that Holmes designed? I'd like to include that in my catalog. There are three I know of: Colorado National Bank, Denver; 100 Broadway, NYC; One King West, Toronto. As busy as he was, there must be more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNB 4.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	309.7 KB 
ID:	10043

I was not able to find images for 100 Broadway (now Bank of Tokyo) or any details on the vault other than Holmes as designer.

To be picky, I suppose a vault (which is really just a room) could have been designed by Holmes but fitted with an off-the-shelf door by one of the manufacturers. Of course he might push his own door design and subcontract for manufacture. Emil Strauss did that.

Default Holmes - York

The vault at 120 Broadway in NYC was engineered by Holmes, and built by York.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0960 (Large).JPG   IMG_0962 (Large).JPG  

Rhode Island Hospital Trust, Providence R.I. York sq door --- Nassau Nat. Bank, Brooklyn, RS sq door ---Guaranty Trust 5th at 43rd Mosler and/or York --- Bankers Trust Wall at Nassau HHM sq door --- American Surety Bldg. 100 Broadway --- National Exchange Bank Baltimore York door ---Brooklyn Trust ---Equitable Bldg 120 Broadway --- Bank of Montreal ---Citizens National Bank --- Columbia Trust Co. ---Title Guarantee and Trust Co. --- New York Clearing House --- JP Morgan 23 Wall ---Importers and Traders National Bank --- Central Savings --- NY Fed Reserve---

As long as we're talking about Holmes, here is a photo:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frederick S. Holmes.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	10060

Interesting guy that Holmes and cool name

Default Mosler Vault Door Brochures and Plans

I just purchased some Mosler Vault Door Brochures and Plans from the 1950s. I would be happy to share the information if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by VaultDoors View Post
    I just purchased some Mosler Vault Door Brochures and Plans from the 1950s. I would be happy to share the information if anyone is interested.
    I am very interested. Perhaps you could scan these and post the results here?

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    I am very interested. Perhaps you could scan these and post the results here?
    I have an older scanner that takes forever to scan. I can mail them to you if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by VaultDoors View Post
    I have an older scanner that takes forever to scan. I can mail them to you if you like.
    OK, let me know when you get them and are done looking them over.

Thread Information