Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Many thanks Safeman.

[QUOTE=safeman;29011]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post

The Tann List 2 as with all the other grades were offered in a number of sizes including double-doored versions. They were not uncommon.

Your safe No.21567 was one of the first Tann safes to be known as the No.2 Bent Body. Prior to this date safes had been of a square body construction made up of separate sheets of metal rivetted over an angle iron frame. In this style the four sides comprise a singe sheet bent at the four corners and the back plate attached separately. This gives less opportunity for splitting the body apart.
    Attachment 19704
    Thanks for all of that information Safeman. Would just like to see one with its plates and levers/handles/ knobs? in place, as if possible I would like to replace them. It's a lovely Safe just a shame it's been abused by people who don't have any regard for anything. Thanks again.

[QUOTE=Mark1;29013]
    Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    Thanks for all of that information Safeman. Would just like to see one with its plates and levers/handles/ knobs? in place, as if possible I would like to replace them. It's a lovely Safe just a shame it's been abused by people who don't have any regard for anything. Thanks again.
    These photographs are from the same period and show the door furniture used at the time.
    The large double door safe is a List 4 which should be fairly close in terms of external fittings although without nameplates.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan Tann 9.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	19705 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Exhib. safes.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	352.4 KB 
ID:	19706

Default Many thanks again Safeman.

[QUOTE=safeman;29014]

These photographs are from the same period and show the door furniture used at the time.
    The large double door safe is a List 4 which should be fairly close in terms of external fittings although without nameplates.

Name:	Scan Tann 9.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	19705 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Exhib. safes.JPG 
Size:	352.4 KB 
ID:	19706
    Thanks, There's some nice ones there.

Thumbs down

[QUOTE=Mark1;29013]
    Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post

Here's closer illustration showing the door furniture in more detail. Although this dates from the 1920's the brasswork will most likely be identical.

Ebay sometimes come up with these items.

Name:	Tann-New-Security.web.jpg 
Size:	237.5 KB 
ID:	19709

The old days when Tann could boast that their safes had never been compromised! That is quite a claim.

Default Many thanks Safeman.

[QUOTE=safeman;29019]

Here's closer illustration showing the door furniture in more detail. Although this dates from the 1920's the brasswork will most likely be identical.

Ebay sometimes come up with these items.

Name:	Tann-New-Security.web.jpg 
Size:	237.5 KB 
ID:	19709
    Thanks for all your help, I'll keep an eye out. You never know!

Default Thanks Chubby

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    The old days when Tann could boast that their safes had never been compromised! That is quite a claim.
    Indeed yes and thanks.

Default Update on my Two Door John Tann Safe

Indeed yes and thanks.
    I have just unloaded my Two Door Safe off of my trailer on my own with just a steel plate some blocks of wood and some lengths of one inch water pipe.

I really enjoyed this far better than working! I have enclosed some pictures of the 'operation'

In the last picture I've only got about eighty feet to go to get it to my Garage door!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails safe 10.jpg   safe 11.jpg   safe 12.jpg   safe 13.jpg  

Yes, moving a mid weight safe, such as your double door one, is a breeze, especially when it is so wide. I used to enjoy shifting them too. It is amazing what can be done once the unit is on rollers.

Now comes the fun of renovating them.

Default Thanks Chubby

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    Yes, moving a mid weight safe, such as your double door one, is a breeze, especially when it is so wide. I used to enjoy shifting them too. It is amazing what can be done once the unit is on rollers.

Now comes the fun of renovating them.
    Yeah they're going in my Garage, Hope to get them looking nice. Shame all the bits were stolen/broken..... I will post some numbers from the Milners Safe I have sometime today hopefully. Do I need to start a new 'thread'? 'Post' for that?

Thread Information