Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need informations on small john tann

Hi guys, details on this small kind john tann are welcome as year manufacture etc ... the signification of « ledger » on the back door too ! I researched but nothing clear on this term. Serial number 47632, original paint, 2 original keys with, very happy with.
    thanks for details
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E83E4DD8-8627-416E-95DA-FB509A46853E.jpeg   B1B331E2-A29B-4FE5-A3CC-A1EBE45D7B0F.jpeg   EB65B99C-A6DA-4619-901A-E25D8BE63D3B.jpeg   9E03D56D-436B-48A1-A9C1-CF32EF88CAB1.jpeg  

I assume ledger refers to book keeping books. That is what fire safes were needed to protect. From what I have learned here 2.1.12 probably gives the weight of the safe.

Please show photos of the lock too!

PS: Btw. a great looking safe. I wonder where you get all these fine safes from.

Thanks for reply, i am not hot to take photos of the lock because the original paint is perfect and full cover the bolts heads so i do not want to « crack » it
    i will test on a down one if possible and let you know

I can understand your reluctance to disassemble the door.

Quote Originally Posted by stephane View Post
    Hi guys, details on this small kind john tann are welcome as year manufacture etc ... the signification of « ledger » on the back door too ! I researched but nothing clear on this term. Serial number 47632, original paint, 2 original keys with, very happy with.
    thanks for details

That's a beauty Stephane. The serial number dates from 1929 and as Cepasaccus correctly states, the numbers on the door edge refer to the weight in the old Imperial Measures of
    Hundredweights, Quarters, and Pounds which should come out as 120Kgs.

I will send you a copy of the original catalogue page at the weekend when I get back to my records. I may also have a photograph of the keylock somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post

I will send you a copy of the original catalogue page at the weekend when I get back to my records. I may also have a photograph of the keylock somewhere.
    Stephane, here are the brochure illustrations.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tann Ledger.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	21515 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tann Ledger b..JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	269.7 KB 
ID:	21516

Do you have an original key with the name & address etc? Does the key have an 'L' shaped cut-out on the bit like this one below?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tann 4S lock 4lbs._edited-2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	254.5 KB 
ID:	21517 I am still looking for a picture of the 8-lever lock but no luck so far.

safeman, is it the same lock you referred to as a 4S when I sent you the blanks you cut the key from a while ago? If so i have one around somewhere I can dig out and take pics if yours don't show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    safeman, is it the same lock you referred to as a 4S when I sent you the blanks you cut the key from a while ago? If so i have one around somewhere I can dig out and take pics if yours don't show up.

That's very thoughtful of you Huw - and welcome back by the way - but being just a book safe I expect it will be a much simpler lock without s detector etc. yet I can't rule out it having a Guarded Lever as Tann even fitted one in their small List 1 chest lock.

I have a couple of pictures of their smaller lock - one with and one without the Guard - but cannot tell how many levers they have. In fact I have a feeling that they dropped this device around the same time so It will be interesting to see the key in any case.

Thanks guys, you are the best. originals brochures much appreciate Safeman. actually in holidays but this is a simple key, i have the 2 originals with john tann + the address stamp on but not sure. i will check when come back.
    Ceapascus, for the story came from devon in england. bought to a old lady it was to her husband and when he died she don't want to keep, it's the most frequent case for old safes, maybe women consider them just as tools to welcome value and not THE value. another detail the safe was place in the garage on the floor and some years ago, the husband had the floor repainted by a company, the garage has been completely emptied except the safe, and repainted. this is not a heavy safe, very easy to rip it on 1 meter outside the garage to do the job. so even it's a old and small safe that's the proof people look them as something absolutely not common and impossible to manage. now the garage have a small grey square concrete floor with an ocean deep red paint around. funny.

hi guys, i finally remove the back door without paint damage so attached photo of the lock for cepascus. anyway i prefer clean all the mechanism and take a look because some dust and small parts of the fire proof chamber travel in this space. the lock is a simple one but very hard to move, not due to some issue but because the springs levers are strong.
    very happy with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tann3.jpg   tann2.jpg   tann1.jpg  

Thread Information