Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A very nice example of a cupboard or pantry lock. It would have been mounted on the outside of the door and served to hold the door in place. Similar locks for entry doors would have had a key hole on the back side that would be flush with the door, this one does not have that. As for a time frame, I would guess 1700's or earlier. I would suggest looking at property records to see some indication of when it might have been last sold and that would at least give you a date for when the building was possible to occupy. BBE.

Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    A very nice example of a cupboard or pantry lock. It would have been mounted on the outside of the door and served to hold the door in place. Similar locks for entry doors would have had a key hole on the back side that would be flush with the door, this one does not have that. As for a time frame, I would guess 1700's or earlier. I would suggest looking at property records to see some indication of when it might have been last sold and that would at least give you a date for when the building was possible to occupy. BBE.

Great info and a good suggestion about looking at the property records.I really like the thought of it being so old, but would ask how can you tell, is it the style that helps with working out it's age....... Thank you for your help, much appreciated......

Quote Originally Posted by joseph View Post
    Great info and a good suggestion about looking at the property records.I really like the thought of it being so old, but would ask how can you tell, is it the style that helps with working out it's age....... Thank you for your help, much appreciated......
    The style is very like that period and a couple of hundred years prior to that. The industrial revolution changed all that and very few locks were made that substantial once machinery was involved. BBE.

Thread Information