Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Some of the psychology of herding could mean fooling the robbers into thinking they have succeeded in trapping everybody. If you merely make the door unclosable they might become angry and more prone to doing something really bad. From this perspective a design that allows the door to fully close and seemingly lock would be best. Meanwhile, the employees on the inside need to reassure customers, and they need to trigger a silent alarm and/or phone for help.

Interesting concept.
    It has been standard practice in NZ Banks, that all Strongroom/Vault Doors are to be locked open, with bolts thrown, to help prevent staff/customers being locked inside.
    Combined with most doors having an emergency release fitted, and breather tubes/phones etc.

The only exception to this is if the staff forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Redoubt View Post
    ...Combined with most doors having an emergency release fitted...
    That bit surprised me. Other than the two door images I posted earlier, and the round door sold by Vault Structures Incorporated (Florida), I'm not aware of bank vault doors that have an emergency release. I have seen them on doors that are designed for fire protection (Mosler model 12 IIRC) but not bank vaults. Perhaps NZ has different regulations?

Hi Wylk
    In NZ we don't really have Fire Doors.
    They would definitely not exist in a Bank.
    These are proper Bankers Anti Arc Vault Doors.
    The emergency release mechanism is fully protected behind glass and a large amount of relockers.

I think that that might refer to the tann slimline or l&f 20 series lock rather than the brass plunger/top hat type lock

Agreed Huw and the earlier versions that were like a satin cased version, do we know who made these locks, I have heard both Kromer and Tann ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    Agreed Huw and the earlier versions that were like a satin cased version, do we know who made these locks, I have heard both Kromer and Tann ?
    This is all I have Gary.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tann lock makers.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	22206

Hope it's legible.

That certainly makes sense from what I saw out there, all the later bright brass enclosed case Tann’s did indeed have paint on one or two of the cap screws (usually red), but I only saw them as the 10 lever plunger lock on the higher grade safes.
    Going from memory though, the open cased earlier version of it, mostly seen on large Grade 1A post office counter safes and some standard issue Bankers, did sometimes have grey hammered paint on the case like a Kromer.

Thread Information