Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: CHUBB rim lock

Default CHUBB rim lock

CHUBB rim lock - non original key but still an interesting lock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chubb-rim-pp-1.JPG   chubb-rim-pp-2.JPG   chubb-rim-pp-3.JPG   chubb-rim-pp-4.JPG  

I was given this lock many years ago by a friend, and until today I had never seen another.

Very similar, this one also has a non-original key (It has been cut from another Chubb key) and does not fit very well, the lock really does not like it much! Fortunately the levers have not been got at, but the end wards are a bit worn, suggesting that a (different) inappropriate key has been used in the past.

Does anyone have any idea when these locks were made? and does the marking "S 14" have any significance? Probably just to identify the lock but if anyone knows different....

Let`s Try again shall we?..... This time in glorious Technicolor....

Quote Originally Posted by Parautoptic View Post
    I was given this lock many years ago by a friend, and until today I had never seen another.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1 Ch Cy front crop.jpg   3 Ch Cy tail crop.jpg   4 Ch Cy Key crop.jpg   6 Ch Cy levers crop.jpg   7 Ch Cy levers crop.jpg  

' S ' markings on a lock usually indicates that it was part of a master keyed suite.

As to the age, if there is no serial number then the lock has to be post 1946.

Nice lock, Parautoptic. I see yours has a different shaped tail piece. Yours is flat and more modern looking and mine has a square shaped brass section. Minor difference.

Thanks for posting.

Thumbs up

A very nice lock,I have not seen one before,good photos as well.
    Phil.

Default Chubb lever cylinder rim latch

Only just found this thread.
    Around the turn of the century, Yale began exporting a small-case cylinder rim latch to Britain. Several British makers copied this, as the early patents had expired. The Yale-type copies were interchangeable with both the Yale cylinder and lockcase.

Further to compete with the Yale latch, several British makers produced small-case lever cylinder rim latches with lever cylinder locking devices. None of these was compatible with Yale, or the other British makers, Hobbs, Gibbons, and later, Albert Marston (Wellington).
    The op's latch appeared early in the 20C but I have not found the patent, though there are some dated adverts for it. Mine is from a building of 1912, and the one on the front door of Polesden Lacey house (NT) is from a similar period. Mine has a pin key, a square connecting bar, and the same type of latch case.
    The cylinder was made with both pin and pipe key variants, and the cylinder markings and shape varied slightly during the course of production. Several variations of latch case are also seen.
    Afaik it was made through the 1930s. But only the Wellingon latch achieved much success in the marketplace, and that nowhere near matched Yale.
    I have seen two others in service, and several on display in lock shops.

Thread Information