Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default New Vault Door Model

Hi guys!

Long time, no read
    It took me about two years to get my new workshop up to working conditions, including repairing my big lathe (four tons in weight, 3,35m long). But now I am finally ready to make new Vault door models

You already know my old model that I sold back in 2019, you can find the story here: https://www.antique-locks.com/showth...-vault-doors-)

Now I have much more knowledge, much more machinery on my hands and more possibilities to make things in a much higher quality.

This will be a long time project and since I am also working full-time and doing my PhD in mathematics as a side-job, I wont have that much time (like working eight hours a day on the project). So there will be weeks or months with me not posting anything. But still I want to share this gigantic project with you

As an appetizer here are a few pictures of the first parts, I am building. Usually I start with the hinges and from there the final dimensions of the door + frame are determined. In the pictures shown I have 92mm round material, tool steel, for the door hinges (the frame hinges will be a bit larger), a one meter long piece on the lathe. I am using a steady rest and a CNMG-insert on the 32mm holder. In one picture there are a couple of new chucks waiting on their enrolling
    I estimate the building time to a couple of years, since it is very complex as you all know. I guess the frame will be about one by one meter, but we will see how things are going to end up.

I hope you are all doing fine so far and I wish you all the best!

Regards, Maik
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4155b243f27d52f3e9fda2ab52fd902c4dae35e58fd0aba746d3f7b95c5da835.jpg   a97e95bf9a1bc7dcc5b4d0abd501a645f46b129fab7bedcaa10c36c477839f36.jpg   b27d99bb41fd543590d30395e2cf1f1b616d9bdc1c7f0059d2bd0b128ebeccb7.jpg  

Thread Information