Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

[QUOTE=Tom Gordon;31010]The Chatwood records at The History of Locks Museum are a revelation!

There were also a number of safes which never showed up in any of the sales catalogues which I own – homesafes and wallsafes (by Chatwood rather than the Chatwood Milner wallsafes) and sawdust safes (right up to WW2).

Tom, hoping to hear a lot more from these records in the future. As regards these mysterious home safes, all I can suggest is the Texagen, the little black all concrete cast bodied safe with a continuous hinge plus a dummy on the other side. It had a white plastic handle and escutcheon and the front face of the body was slightly tapered. Sorry but no other illustrations.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chat.Texagen.2.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	21314 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stratford Cashier '79 Levys (4).jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	949.8 KB 
ID:	21315 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chatwood patent.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	21316 I knew of a larger version which was constructed on the same principal and which may have been the Household. I also learned that Chatwood made a special safe for the Times Furnishing Company before the war which may in fact be the same safe.

I think I may have mentioned this before but have you any knowledge of the Citadel Safe as below. I seem to recollect but cannot substantiate that when Samuel Chatwood and his son relinquished their seats on the Board in 1907 they setup a separate company as shown below, but who was G Chatwood?

Name:	Chatwood Citadel_edited-1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	21317 Look forward to hearing if you can throw any light on this.

[QUOTE=safeman;31077]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    The Chatwood records at The History of Locks Museum are a revelation!

There were also a number of safes which never showed up in any of the sales catalogues which I own – homesafes and wallsafes (by Chatwood rather than the Chatwood Milner wallsafes) and sawdust safes (right up to WW2).

Tom, hoping to hear a lot more from these records in the future. As regards these mysterious home safes, all I can suggest is the Texagen, the little black all concrete cast bodied safe with a continuous hinge plus a dummy on the other side. It had a white plastic handle and escutcheon and the front face of the body was slightly tapered. Sorry but no other illustrations.

Name:	Chat.Texagen.2.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	21314 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stratford Cashier '79 Levys (4).jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	949.8 KB 
ID:	21315 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chatwood patent.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	21316 I knew of a larger version which was constructed on the same principal and which may have been the Household. I also learned that Chatwood made a special safe for the Times Furnishing Company before the war which may in fact be the same safe.

I think I may have mentioned this before but have you any knowledge of the Citadel Safe as below. I seem to recollect but cannot substantiate that when Samuel Chatwood and his son relinquished their seats on the Board in 1907 they setup a separate company as shown below, but who was G Chatwood?

Name:	Chatwood Citadel_edited-1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	21317 Look forward to hearing if you can throw any light on this.
    I do look forward to finding some of these smaller safes sometime and they sold quite a few!
    when I am looking through the directors minutes, I will keep an eye open for how they dealt with a Chatwood in competition.
    I would be surprised if the Texagen was the same as the “Household” because That wouldn’t be a nickname like the “bomb” and so should show up separately in the company records.

Thread Information