Quote Originally Posted by stephane View Post
Hi guys, just fall on this on the web. Apparently some customers on titanic came with there own safes.
http://www.premierexhibitions.com/ex...or-rms-titanic
Hello again Stephan,
I am very familiar with the safes on the Titanic and the rubbish has been published and broadcast. When the Ballard expedition in 1985 found a safe in the debris field it was the one illustrated which had been made by Thomas Perry.
When a further expedition was conducted in August 1987 an attempt was made to recover the safe and I was asked to perform the opening on TV. It was claimed that this was the Purser's safe containing passenger's valuables. It soon became obvious that there was nothing left of the light gauge metal body - only the door plate, hinges, and brass furniture,
Despite that the TV company asking if I could produce a replica safe to simulate the opening. I declined but they went ahead and placed what was left, the door plate, inside a
second safe to fake the opening. Even Telly Savalas who compered the programme looked embarassed.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Titanic Voy.of Discov.(timeline).jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	21779
The facts are that during construction of the ship four safes by the Milner Safe Company were supplied. Being mainly for the security of passenger's possessions the Purser's Office would have been the location and adjacent to the Captain's Office where the others would have been installed. The situation of these offices is in the upper deck structure adjacent to the bridge which is an area apart from the rear section of the ship which broke apart scattering passengers personal luggage in a debris field including the Perry Safe shown below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Titanic Perry Safe.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	21780 This remainder of the wreck has now deteriorated to the point that nothing else is ever likely be discovered.

That's the short answer to your question Stephane, yes, there was at least one passengers safe in the hold.