Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Reba729 View Post
    Think I'm hooked.
    Yes, I am too, I just went deeper than most... I work with locks for a living and a hobby. 20 years as a Locksmith now.

What kind of lock do you have?
    The two areas I collect are Unit locks made since 1899 and Cutaway cylinders. Mostly high security cutaways but just about anything that is cutaway in a lock cylinder.

Think I will concentrated on locks by Star Lock Works, invented by Louis Hillebrand. Not to expensive and a place to start.
    This isn't entirely true. If you happen to come across a really rare padlock that can set you back maybe $1000 or more if it was for sale. But this all depends on what you consider to be expensive. But you are correct in that it is a place to start. Collecting is all about what you find that makes you sit up and your eyes light up.

Have you gotten into going to he US patent office yet? Not easy to find these old locks with the system they have. Have a good one. Reba729
    No need to. Google Patents has already done it for us. It is MUCH easier to find something with Google Patents if you put the right words and or name.
    Last edited by Dean Nickel; 15-10-10 at 02:20 AM.

Thread Information