Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Historic vault door unearthed in El Paso USA

I've just had a look at this news shot of an old Diebold vault door being removed for restoration. It's worth a watch and we will have to keep our eyes on it in the future. Does anyone know the locksmith interviewed? Hopefully he or one of our friends nearby could keep a log of the work.

http://www.kvia.com/Global/story.asp?S= ... 9&nav=AbC0

Default Antique vault in El Paso Texas

I work for Eastwood Locksmith in El Paso. The owner is in charge of cleaning and restoring this vault frame and door. Believe me, every step is being photographed. When finished, it will be mounted and on display. You are welcome to post specific questions and I will try to get them answered.

Jim
    jrmlocks@juno.com

Hi Jim

Thanks for replying. No specific quiestions but I am sure most visitors to this site would like to see any more photos of the move and storage and restoration. Can you post some as it goes along?

Thanks
    Rich

Default Vault photos

I am trying to attach some photos. Wish me luck.

The vault has been moved and is being taken apart for cleaning and lubrication. It is intended to be placed on display and not used. However, we intend it to be in completely usable condition when finished. Many parts - gears, bolts, timelocks, etc., had been removed over the years and exact replacements are being machined.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01550.jpg   DSC01717.jpg   DSCN0030.jpg   DSCN0093.jpg   DSCN0096.jpg  

DSCN0152.jpg  
    Last edited by cookiebear7; 28-08-09 at 05:03 AM. Reason: additional comments.

Lovely! You were able to post the pics. Post more if you have some of the insides of the bolt work or locks.

Brilliant, well done Jim, keep them coming as work progresses. Can you tell us and show us the stuff being made as replacements. Remind me when the door was first constructed please?

Looking at those dials it's Diebold ?

Thank you for posting the pictures, I too and looking forward to additional pictures as and when they come available.

Yes, It is definitely a Diebold. The Diebold Company has gaps in their records. They cannot find any specific records concerning this vault. They have searched but just cannot find anything.
    Many people believe it was constructed between 1880 and 1900. However, one machinist stated that certain types of stainless steel was not produced until after 1900. So, sorry, but we do not have a detailed historical record. I will try to get more photos as I can.

That would be the coolest door to a antique lock display room! 8-)8-)

So they ran some of the metal for type? Someone is getting down right fussy on this restore job! That is cool!

I have seen a door just like that here in NE Ohio. No longer in use but it is complete. About 15" solid. I have pictures of it if you need any.

Thread Information