Quote Originally Posted by stephane View Post
another question : what's the best way to access to the lock ? i can see 2 series of screws under the paint : first on the plate of the external door and a second bolt on the square itself bolt on the door ? do you have a link or photos of this operation ?

merci beaucoup
Stephane,

I do not understand your reference to the screws under the paint etc.

It's a long time since I worked on an old Chubb like this but I seem to remember having to remove all the screws that surround and fasten the lockcase on the inside of the door. There could be 40 or more! Also there may be 2 location pins to ensure that the spindle from the handle can be re-located easily when re-assembling.

Your safe is relatively light weight as Chubby's figure indicates. The body plate which is of a 4 corner bent construction appears to be quite thin - somewhere around 3mm - as can be seen around the front edge. This thickness will also be visible in the door rebates where, incidentally, you may also find traces of the original body paint colour at the top and right hand side as any repaint is unlikely to have been applied there.