Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Great stuff keep them coming, the variety of doors, tones and colours is always amazing on these.

The Lips card has to be the most vivid colours I think I've seen on one to date.

The proud stance of the Cuban Bank guard is typical of most which makes the Union National Bank card all the more strange as that guy looks pretty awkward!

Off on a tangent! But a few postcards are included.

When I first researched the Spokane postcard years ago, I concluded that Union Trust and Savings Bank had been in the Marble Bank Building:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spokane 1907 with emergency.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	19239

See http://spokanehistorical.org/items/show/621 for history of the Marble Bank Building including the point it was demolished in the 1950s and replaced with a new building that seems to pay homage to the Marble. This was all happening at West Riverside Avenue and North Wall Street. Here is what it looked like, and what it looks like today:

Name:	4a46bfdcc576b045462e2c8900b5cd1d.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	476.1 KB 
ID:	19240 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	186.9 KB 
ID:	19241 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Umpqua Bank.jpg 
Size:	190.7 KB 
ID:	19242

So naturally I thought the door was long gone. But with Chubby's comments I note that GenPrime is at 502 West Riverside Avenue, two blocks east of The Marble. It's quite contemporary-looking:

Name:	502 Riverside.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	200.2 KB 
ID:	19244

Yet, looking around via Google Images, I spotted this image of GenPrime in the Numerica Building:

Name:	Genprime Numerica.jpg 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	19243

How is this all possible? The meeting room seems clearly larger than the vault in the postcard. And why is it in a contemporary building?

One choice is that this door was always here and belonged to an ancestral building. It might have been Union Trust or somebody else, but it sure looks like the old postcard except for the stainless steel cladding on the door frame.

Another choice is that this door was saved in the 1950s and re-installed two blocks away as a very interesting decoration.

Chubby, can your friend cast any light on the history of his door?

Thread Information