Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
The following is adapted from an item I posted to The ClearStar Security Network security professionals' Internet forum back in 2002:

I found a product which you can use to "change" plain brass goods to antique brass (BHMA 609/US5) or oil rubbed bronze (BHMA613/US10B). Brass Ager is the acid liquid used to create this effect. You must start with clean un-coated brass, Iosso metal polish does a good job of removing tarnish and dirt from the base metal. If the part is lacquered, this coating must first be removed, we use a h.d. commercial aerosol called Klean-Strip Premium Stripper. Once the brass is prepared, the best way is to place the solution in a glass or plastic container, do not use metal; and then submerge the parts and watch for the desired color to emerge. You can also apply it with a brush but this does not yield as uniform a color. The process only takes a few minutes, then rise with clear water and dry. To approximate the antique finish, rub the surfaces with 000 steel wool until the desired highlights are created. Finally, top coat the new finish with a clear matte protector like Rust-Oleum 7902. Rubber gloves and eye protection are recommended to shield from the acid.

Pete Schifferli
Thought all that was familiar Pete, it's what you posted in reply to the reproduction Brighton catches that I made a couple of years ago:

https://www.antique-locks.com/showth...hton-fasteners

Always curious as to how effective, fast and realistic the commercial solutions are compared to the common homebrews and methods, so am still interested to know what sort of items, parts etc, restorations, reproductions, or whatever it is that you've used them on, and to see the different finishes you have achieved with them.