I took a thread off at a tangent so wondered if it was worth starting a thread on safe anchoring. What works and what doesn't etc.

The old sawdust and alum safes were not easy to anchor down as drilling the base would compromise the lining. I have seen one anchored with steel bands coachbolted through a wooden floor, then another piece of steel strip similarly bolted in front to prevent it from being slid out. Far from ideal but it doubtless would have slowed down any assailant. Some army safes were anchored similarly with bands which were rawlbolted to a concrete floor and the threads welded up.

One of my favourites was an old Chatwood Duplex Major plate safe. That had been lined and the void filled with concrete. It had been a night safe so the bottom of the frame was much wider than the sides or top. The lining, however, was the same thickness throughout leaving a lip of a couple of inches. This had been filled with a concealed compartment which gave access to 4 anchoring points. It was accessed by removing 4 allen screws and sliding out the false bottom.

Bricking in and filling round with concrete is an old favourite and increases the strength of the body and the fire resisting capability of the unit; I have, however, seen the steel of a safe degraded by the action of the concrete although quite how or why that should have happened is beyond me.

Anything is better than nothing especially as most anchoring is really to stop the safe being slid along. So even something as simple as a Fischer frame fixing into a hole in the floor will work.

Of course some of the old AEDs relied on the safe not being inverted. Another argument in favour of a base fixing.