Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Milner's Safe 6 Lever Internal Draw Lock

I have recently bought a Milner's Safe on Ebay which I plan to restore. A great winter project. I have searched through the forum and found quite a bit of information about the safe. The serial number starts with an X, which I think dates it to 1912. It is a List 3, four corner, banded Safe and is in urgent need of some TLC. As often is the case, I have absolutely no experience, no tools, but a good deal of enthusiasm.

The safe came with a key for the door, but not the two internal draws. So the first job I have completed is the making of a new key from a blank. I had never attempted anything of this nature, but after looking through threads on the forum and a couple of videos of YouTube, I am proud to say the lock now works. Unfortunately, the second draw lock is completely different, but I now know it is possible and I have a new job for the next rainy day.

The backing plate for the lock is stamped with an "H". Does this mean it is a Hobbs ? I thought I read somewhere that Milner's were making their own locks by this time ?

The paint work on the door is very faded and I wondered if anyone had a safe in good condition and could send a photo of the detail to give me a better idea of the colours I will need.

To any newbies pondering about making the first step, I would recommend jumping in - the water is lovely !

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG2684.jpg   IMAG2690.jpg   IMAG2732.jpg  

Thread Information