Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New Member looking for a little help

Greetings! Nice place you have here!
    I have been lurking for a while and hope that as I learn more I can participate and contribute to many of the great conversations going on. This is my first post so be gentle
    I am hoping you could offer some advice on a bit of a mystery. First, some background:

I live in upstate NY and am a member of private social club call The Fort Schuyler Club. It was founded in the late 1800's as a place for prominent businessmen (no women allowed) to meet, network and socialize. Now it is still a private club, but family friendly. They do a wonderful job serving terrific food and offer great events. They do so, in the original building which they have endeavored to maintain as close to the original club as possible. Upstairs they still have the original billiard room and library with a lot of the original texts and volumes. Additionally they still have some of the furniture. Which brings us to the mystery.

Located outside the billiard room is cabinet of locked drawers (48 of them) mounted on a wall.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141112_205833.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	991.4 KB 
ID:	12540
    Each drawer is individually keyed. It is believed by the management that these drawers go back to the 20's or 30's and were used by individual members to store possessions of some sort, perhaps mail or messages or alcohol. No one knows. Members did not receive mail at the club, so the idea of these being mail boxes doesn't seem to work. The issue is that there are no keys and 3/4 of the drawers remain locked. They could be empty, then again, maybe not.

The cabinet is beautiful piece and there is no desire to damage the cabinet or the locks, but we would like to see what is inside. Without cutting the bolts with a sawz-all or breaking the wood, there does not appear to find a way inside without damaging the wood. The construction is excellent quality and each drawer is self contained.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141112_214940.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1,004.0 KB 
ID:	12541
    What I would like to do as a fundraiser for the club, is find a way to open each of the individually keyed drawers. We would then auction off the locked drawers with the proceeds going to charity. The winning bidder will get to keep the contents (if there are any) or could donate the contents to the club for historical purposes.

The dilemma are the locks. Each one is unique. About 30 of them. All of the same type, but keyed individually. We have had a local locksmith look at the mechanism and he said he could not help us. Thus I decided to enlist the power of the internet. I am hoping one of the very smart people on this message board could share some insight or advice on the best way to open the locked drawers. If we cannot do it without damaging the mechanisms (drilling or cutting) then we will leave it as it is and have it be a club mystery. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. For your review, we removed one of the locks from an unlocked drawer and have provided some pictures. Thanks again for you help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20141112_205742.jpg   20141112_205759.jpg   20141112_205628.jpg   20141112_215018.jpg  

Thread Information