Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
They are called Stop Works Buttons. When they are functioning correctly 1 will prevent the knob on the outside from retracting the latch and the other will allow it to be retracted. Push one, see what it does, then push the other to see what it does.
BBE.
Questionable advise. This is a (trap/thief feature). You push the lower pushbutton in and close the door, you are in for the night, or until someone brings a key to let you out. Someone has to know it does this and can leave trapping whomever is inside (whether desirable, or not). DISABLE IT and don't wait for the a**hole air conditioner repair guy to close the door and think he is locking it by pushing that button in and not just close the door. It is a FIRE SAFETY hazard and can get you sued if someone is trapped and doesn't know its function. Additionally if you need EMS, they ain't gettin in. Smiths wanted $1-200 (mainly for the visit) to disable this function. I just drilled and installed a screw at buttons edge. Another try is epoxy (maybe both?). I do not say you do what I did. I would go to locksmiths and ask for his help. Even worth $$ if he advises you. Not best, but holding so far. IF someone knows better way please let me know. Fixed income (disabled) so money for this should not be needed if a FIY. Other models of this set had screw thread in middle of each button. You turn it and cannot be pushed unless you have screwdriver for access first. Another idea is the smooth area around push buttons should have threading so you can use a type of screw to fasten inside area covering access. PS You have claustrophobia and you will be glad you did not 'see what it does'. Great site. Only one I found that told me what these parts (formally) did. Cheers