Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Gerry this is a nice lock with the key too.
    Are the Case Wards taken out ?
    Many times I find that, someone in times long gone,removes the Case Wards so that mant keys will operate the mechanisn.
    It looks like you have an original key?

Brian..................

Gerry,
    thanks for posting photos of your lock. I have examined a number of these, and you'e right, the mechanism is very similar. the aspect that I'm curious about is that my lock is enclosed in an iron case while yours is made with partly exposed works. It's the variation with the iron case that I'm having a difficult time tracking down. The exposed works variation are much more common.
    Anyone else have any suggestions?
    Peter

Peter, first off, let me state that I know little about pre- 1800 locks but I am intensely interested in the manufacturing methods and the metals used. I have been overwhelmed by the workmanship seen in the many examples found in European collections. However, I tend to forget there would have been a big difference in the high end market seen in these collections and the purely practical locks that were made. That is not to say that I don't respect the work you have done on the replica. I have only recently started doing some blacksmithing and know full well the skill required to make such a lock by hand. Assuming the Jamestown lock was English made and not on the Continent, that might account for the difference you have found in case styles. Regarding the wrought iron springs, in my limited experience in working with wrought iron found on early 1800's hobnail safes, it was surprisingly malleable. I believe that the springs would have been made of a more resilient carbon steel although harder to work. Doug

Thread Information