Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 1920s Master padlocks

I thought I would share what are probably the oldest Master padlocks in my collection. Both are apparently the kind where the outside of the laminated body was ground smooth. Both of these locks were purchased on eBay (and not too far apart in time either!).

The first one is stamped "MASTER", "PAT'D", and "4-22-24" on the bottom above the keyhole, and has the key number 14 stamped below the keyhole. What's interesting is that, if that patent date on it is for Harry Soref's laminated padlock patent, then they got the date wrong, because the actual patent date for Harry Soref's patent is 4/19/1924, if I remember correctly.

The second one is similar to the first one, except that, unlike the first one, the rivets are not ground flat, plus the 4-22-24 patent date is replaced with "MADE IN U.S.A." and the name "ACE" is stamped below the keyhole above the key number 204. This one seems to be in nice condition and still has 2 original keys.

I have a scan in Microsoft Word .doc format of the October 1931 issue of Master's own magazine, The Master Padlock, "Published in the Interest of the Independent Hardware Retailer by the Master Lock Company", courtesy of an eBay seller who is also a collector, that lists a number of lock models in a catalog-style format near the end of the magazine, including the #400 "Ace". My second lock is stamped "ACE" on the bottom, so it seems that it is a #400 (with a different (earlier?) key design to the one pictured in the 1931 magazine to boot!). The first lock seems to be the same size, and the second lock's keys slide into the first one's keyhole, so the first one may also be an (earlier) #400.

Regards,

Zachary.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1920s_Master_padlock_1.jpg   1920s_Master_padlock_2.jpg  

Thread Information