Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Thames padlock

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    James88 Guest

Default Thames padlock

Hi,
    I recently came across this padlock on the Thames foreshore near Rotherhithe. It is inscibed with the name J.DUDIN & SONS, whom I understand to have been Thames Lightermen (licenced to carry goods on the river) and Granery keepers. Several generations of Dudin's are recorded from the late 1700's to mid 1800's. (I am continuing with my research to try and pin down a more exact date). Does anyone know anything about old locks of this type? It appears to be constructed from either iron or steel, held together by brass pins peened over at the ends. Having been buried in the mud it doesn't appear to be very rusty, although it is covered in a hard, clay like substance both on the inside to some extent, and out. I was thinking about getting it professionly restored, although I'm not sure if it would be worth the cost and effort. I would hence appreciate any info with regards to age, design or potential worth!

Regards,

James

P.S. There doesn't appear to be a great deal of collector interest in the UK with regards to old locks and the like, which I find surprising. Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails padlock.jpg  

Thread Information