Just wanted to let folks here know that I am selling a "Hatchet Lock" on eBay.

Here is the description:

Title:

Unusual American Hatchet Lock; Very Collectable

Up for bid is a rare 19th century Iron Lever hatchet-shaped padlock. The lock has a steel case, with a brass hasp, and is 3 3/4“ high X 2 1/2” wide at its base. A tiny “5” is stamped into the hasp (see photo #3). Though I have seen several examples of this type of lock, the condition of this one is superior to any of them. The original finish on the lock-body is in extraordinarily good condition, and there are only light scratches on the hasp.

I do not have the key.

An example of this lock can be found on Page 93 of Frank Arnall’s book The Padlock Collector, where it is referred to as The “Hatchet Lock.” A lock identical to the one I am offering, sold in June of last year for $800 (to see a record of this sale please go to: story commemorative 2 item SC2T).

We are a non-smoking household. All items are packed with great care. This item will ship in a $5 flat rate box. I only charge what it costs me to send something. International buyers please ask for shipping costs prior to bidding.

Please contact me with any questions or for additional photos.

If you are interested please go to: Unusual American Hatchet Lock - eBay (item 230415294802 end time Dec-29-09 01:21:53 PST)

Thanks for looking!!