Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Going by the pictures I certainly won’t be going to YouTube to watch that. Looks like they used an early 1970s wall clock for the hand wheel..
    That is a bad prop door but the story is interesting. One of the officers wrote a book which was turned into a movie (which used a real Mosler door). The TV episode is only 23 minutes long.

The money safe only held about $60,000 but the boxes yielded much more.

The building is now a restaurant which features the original hole in the vault.

An old TV series "Masterminds," episode "Safe Landing" (intentional pun?) details a large jewelry store burglary which involved drilling a safe. Though the dial is Sargent & Greenleaf, the safe itself is clearly a very rare Molser:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2150.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	468.2 KB 
ID:	22231

In 1979 a movie was released that over time has had the titles The Great Riviera Bank Robbery, Dirty Money, and Sewers of Gold. It deals with the 1976 burglary in Nice of a safe deposit vault. In the movie, the vault door is represented like this:

Name:	IMG_2155.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	591.8 KB 
ID:	22263

Though I'm not as familiar with European vault doors, it does seem like a prop. The attendant uses two long keys which she inserts maybe two inches into the keyholes.

In the movie Men In Black 3 there is a maximum-security prison that has a cell door patterned after round crane-hinged vault doors --

Name:	IMG_2164.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	601.3 KB 
ID:	22264

There are no obvious locks or pressure system but the resemblance seems fairly clear.

An upcoming movie "King's Man" is a prequel to the two recent "Kingsman" movies which details the formation of the rather wealthy organization. With all that wealth they need a vault full of gold, right? Here are images taken from the trailers (I did lighten them up a bit).

Name:	king 1b.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	779.0 KB 
ID:	22435 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	King 2b.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	817.4 KB 
ID:	22436

Not too bad, it even uses the commonplace 24 bolts. Probably CGI but pretty. The aspect ratio is a bit messed up (the door is more oval than round).

I would love to see the crane on that door. Among other things. It may be my phone, but the door appears to partially enter the vault as it swings.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayhair View Post
    ... the door appears to partially enter the vault as it swings.
    I'm certain it's either CGI or partly CGI. The opening in the frame isn't nearly as thick as the door is.

Un Drôle de caïd (1964) with Louis de Funès. Looks like a safe with a Fichet combination lock. This is the German synchronization. There is a also an original version on yt, but the video is not as good.

https://youtu.be/U0GyMnkFoYI?t=1200

Quote Originally Posted by Cepasaccus View Post
    Un Drôle de caïd (1964) with Louis de Funès.
    I enjoyed the sound effects while the locks were being picked.

In "How to steal a million" from 1966 with Audrey Hepburn and Peter O'Toole is a small wall safe shown protecting the switch for the alarm system. It has a Fichet 4-wheel clicker plus the key lock. Inside the door is upside down a sticker of Coffres-forts SOLON.

Thread Information