Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Another prop door, this time in a Hallmark series "Signed, Sealed, Delivered," episode "The Treasure Box." The door isn't too bad and seems to have been inspired by actual doors of Strauss design, see for example https://www.antique-locks.com/showth...r-made-by-York except it has 16 bolts instead of the usual 24 and the door itself seems to have no taper.

Pictures available via Google Images are a little small but illustrate the door about as well as taking photos of a TV screen. The plot is cringeworthy, it involves people being automatically locked in when the fire alarm goes off, and they think they will run out of air.

This had to cost a lot to construct and I expect we'll see this door again in some other production.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1024493.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	22593 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1024495.jpg 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	22594 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1024509.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	22595 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1024510.jpg 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	22596 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	76549215e98d748f_w.jpg 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	22597 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2276176_orig.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	22598

Default The Vault (2021 movie)

Earlier this year a heist movie was released, The Vault. It centers around the Bank of Spain and its vault. The following is an image purportedly of the actual vault door:

Name:	Bank of Spain 2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	22644
    Notice that the boltwork is hidden, and that the inside of the door has two hand wheels, presumably for emergency exit. It has also been claimed that the vault can be flooded as a deterrent.

In the movie a prop door (and possibly CGI as well) looks different, and more dramatic (images are from the trailer):

Name:	The Vault 2021 1.jpg 
Size:	199.0 KB 
ID:	22645 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Vault 2021 2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	22646 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Vault 2021 3.jpg 
Size:	371.8 KB 
ID:	22647 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Vault 2021 4.jpg 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	22648 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Vault 2021 6.jpg 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	22650

At the end of the trailer the door is also shown with the title but it isn't even the same door:

Name:	The Vault 2021 5.jpg 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	22649

The movie is also known as Way Down in some areas.

The door seems to be inspired by real doors, probably a Hollar. I haven't seen this movie, and I probably won't bother.

[QUOTE=wylk;32660]Earlier this year a heist movie was released, The Vault. It centers around the Bank of Spain and its vault. The following is an image purportedly of the actual vault door:

Name:	Bank of Spain 2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	22644
    Notice that the boltwork is hidden, and that the inside of the door has two hand wheels, presumably for emergency exit. It has also been claimed that the vault can be flooded as a deterrent.

Wylk, By coincidence I have a Powerpoint video entitled "The Bank of Spain Strongrooms" which unfortunately I am unable to download as an attachment.

The best alternative I have come up with are the attached screenshots.

Name:	Screenshot (136) copy.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	238.7 KB 
ID:	22651 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (137) copy.jpg 
Size:	425.3 KB 
ID:	22652 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (138) copy.jpg 
Size:	290.2 KB 
ID:	22653 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (134) copy.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	313.6 KB 
ID:	22654 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (135) copy.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	425.4 KB 
ID:	22655 The Black & White photo in your post is of the Inauguration of the Vaults in 1936. The above first and second are the entrance door leading to a 36 meter shaft and tunnel leading to the door in picture 3, a moat and door to the Gold Vault numbers 4 and 5.

Above iin the square is the Cibeles Fountain the waters of which it is stated can be used to flood the vaults in an emergency.

All from the cable series "Warehouse 13" on the SyFy Channel. All but the last probably "come from the cursor" of a digital artist.

1. The round door is seen in transitions in each episode.
    2. The more conventional door also appears in transitions, but far less often than the round door.
    3. The time movement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Warehouse 13 Round Door.jpg   Warehouse 13 Door.jpg   Warehouse 13 Time Movement.jpg  

Back to the Bank of Spain, I did run across that Powerpoint presentation several years ago, though it was in Spanish, which I don't speak to any useful degree. They do show a LIPS door and claim it as part of the Bank of Spain but it's actually inside a former bank across the street, the former Banco del Rio de la Plata, later Banco Central, and now the Cervantes Institute. That vault was a safe deposit vault. Here are contemporary images:

Name:	LIPS Madrid 2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	337.9 KB 
ID:	22659 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LIPS Madrid 3.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	280.0 KB 
ID:	22660

IIRC the institute currently uses the safe deposit boxes as small time capsules. The symbols over the door in the first picture also appear on the outside of the building.

As for the main and second door, I believe the Powerpoint presentation is simply wrong, they are the same door. The architectural details are identical, and even the patterns in the black marble are the same.

The creator of the presentation was either misled or was overly creative

I mean no disrespect to safeman, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    Back to the Bank of Spain, I did run across that Powerpoint presentation several years ago, though it was in Spanish, which I don't speak to any useful degree.
    The creator of the presentation was either misled or was overly creative

I mean no disrespect to safeman, of course!

Wylk, thank you for this. You may not speak Spanish fluently but you certainly cope with the language very well.

I now wonder what the motive behind the presentation could have been, but not for long.

Master Safecracker Rates 10 Safecracking Heists In Movies And TV | How Real Is It?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbgeExmIAO0

Charlie Santore is commenting safe scenes in ten Hollywood movies. I think this is very nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by Cepasaccus View Post
    Master Safecracker Rates 10 Safecracking Heists In Movies And TV | How Real Is It?

Charlie Santore is commenting safe scenes in ten Hollywood movies. I think this is very nicely done.
    Yes, I thoroughly agree with you. One that I think he missed? was "The Score" with Robert De Niro where the opening sequence (sorry) is a very accurate representation of drilling of a KC lock. He subsequently opens a large safe using hydraulic shock, a technique which the 'MyBusters' team exploited. Trouble was that the modern safe is largely sheet metal and concrete and will not hold water at the door joints.

As for reality, he really told it like it is. The legitimate safe technician today uses the drill rig and scopes to perform 'non-destructive entry'. Some are also very accomplished at pure manipulation. Unfortunately they can sometimes be overtaken by self-aggrandisement and accounts have occasionally been published of their achievements outwith closed sites. The safe industry is dependent on confidence.

Having been slightly involved in the 'Garden' incident I can only praise the accuracy of television portrayal. I just happened to know some details of the reinforcement and who built the room for Chubb which would have withstood the breach had they not had the whole weekend at their disposal.

In Germany have been two attacks at banks with coring equipment near Hamburg recently. The attack last year was not successful because a cleaner reported strange noises. The attack this month was successful. It was from an empty flat above the vault. Both happened over the weekend and no alarm system raised an alarm. I will never be as famous as Hatton Garden and so we won't see movies about it.

Some years ago there was a quick "smash and grab" at a non-banking deposit box provider where the safe or vault was opened by blasting.

Here's a cover from Amazing Stories, June of 1956 -

Name:	Thing June 1956.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	169.5 KB 
ID:	22784

Apparently if you're a "thing" you come up from underneath, through a vault floor which has to be the hardest possible way to do it. The door looks like it was inspired by a Mosler Century, though not an exact rendering. Here is one at 510 Fifth Avenue in New York City -

Name:	510 Fifth 4.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	343.9 KB 
ID:	22785

Thread Information