Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default MALLET patent lock

Another odd item.
    very worn but you can still make out MALLET patent and what looks to be 25078-09

Again I have tried to find the patent but no luck.

I haven't taken it apart yet but it looks to be wafers/levers rather than pins.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP1229.JPG   IMGP1230.JPG  

Default Mallet Lock

I have searched for GB 190925078 and it shows your lock, a wafer version of a Yale Cylinder. The firm is Enoch Tonks & Sons, the waved keyway could be produced by punching, whereas early Yales had, I believe, to be sawn with a jewellers saw, priorto broaching taking over. I presume sawn wavy slots would have the saw guided by a suitable guide?
    I do not know if Tonks used Mallet as a trademark, unless it was the name of a seller.
    Regards,
    Martin Cummins.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprockets View Post
    I have searched for GB 190925078 and it shows your lock, a wafer version of a Yale Cylinder. The firm is Enoch Tonks & Sons, the waved keyway could be produced by punching, whereas early Yales had, I believe, to be sawn with a jewellers saw, priorto broaching taking over. I presume sawn wavy slots would have the saw guided by a suitable guide?
    I do not know if Tonks used Mallet as a trademark, unless it was the name of a seller.
    Regards,
    Martin Cummins.

Thanks Martin.
    That is very helpful. Interesting as to where both Tonks & Mallet fit.
    Pity the full patent is not available with pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by macs_07 View Post
    Thanks Martin.
    That is very helpful. Interesting as to where both Tonks & Mallet fit.
    Pity the full patent is not available with pictures.
    You can download the full patent by using espacenet. Just ask for advanced, and then enter GB190925078 as number.. You can then copy the full specification by using the download function. Any problems, contact me, but I am computer illiterate, and still manage it!

If you are overseas, perhaps Mallet was importer?

I am still amazed that Yale keyways were sawn for quite a period, presumably by a jig saw and hardened gude plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprockets View Post
    You can download the full patent by using espacenet. Just ask for advanced, and then enter GB190925078 as number.. You can then copy the full specification by using the download function. Any problems, contact me, but I am computer illiterate, and still manage it!

If you are overseas, perhaps Mallet was importer?

I am still amazed that Yale keyways were sawn for quite a period, presumably by a jig saw and hardened gude plate.

Thanks, that work well.
    Didn't have to use the advanced option.

Default 'Mallett' rim cylinder by Tonks

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publ...0925078A&KC=A#

This is a link to the patent abstract. The cylinder locking device was invented by Tonks, then trading as Tonks & Sons, E., and Tonks, R., afterwards, 'ETAS'.
    It is a wafer tumbler lock, made before pressure die-casting made other versions of this idea easy and cheap to mass-produce, so is probably rare. Looks like another attempt to compete with the Yale cylinder nightlatch, as this is 1909. Probably not a success in the market place, with few survivors.

Default Mallet lock, invented by Tonks

Mallet was likely a large retailer. Early in the last century, Yale badged locks for several large retailers. Some of these had started out as ironmongery makers, but gradually moved to having products made for them and badged for them. Suffolk company Comyn (now Comyn Ching Architectural Hardware) was an example. Even in the 19C, some makers would affix round stamped disks with a retailer's, rather than the maker's name.

Thread Information