Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I got the film location info here: http://onthesetofnewyork.com/jumper.html It is possible the vault was shot at another location but it doesn't say. Could there have former bank at the same location that was built before Emigrant built their bank? If so, they may have used the existing vault in their new building.

Quote Originally Posted by VaultDoors View Post
    Could there have former bank at the same location that was built before Emigrant built their bank? If so, they may have used the existing vault in their new building.
    I've wondered how often a bank builds around an existing vault but I suspect it doesn't happen very often. Insurance companies might not like older vaults, and service/repair could be a problem. Bankers may prefer newer/flashier equipment, at least for what clients see. Newer stuff will be better alarmed and possibly more resistant to attack.

If I can catch Jumper some time on TV I'll try to take a look.

One you have probably all missed is called "the Newton Boys". It came out quite some time ago and never got really big, but was actually about a true gang from the 30s who traveled the US busting safes and doors.
    My first hearing of it was a note over the fax machine (pre- e-mail, kids).
    The set man heard we might have the parts they needed for their props. We did, and I watch them exploded across the set occasionally for fun. Check it out some time! Funny thing is Mosler got credits and we didn't, the bums!

BPS

Please post pics of The Newton Boys vault.

A poor attempt to draw a vault door, but not surprising; this is from a comic book.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Justice Vault.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	485.1 KB 
ID:	13891

Lennox International (heating/cooling) has an advertisement using a vault door. "...we used a team of artists and muralists to transform a home into a money-saving vault." For a Hollywood rendition it's not too bad but they did get a few things wrong.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lennox1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	13782 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lennox2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	169.6 KB 
ID:	13783

On the outside view, the hand wheel is shown to retract the pressure bars which is not how they work. On the inside view it's reasonably close to something that could work. The pinions (small gears) are very large but could operate as shown. I believe the gearing shows 24 bolts, a traditional number, but the actual bolt protrusions don't line up! It looks like there might be 20 or 22 bolts around the outside which is not possible if there are 24 inside the support ring.

The ad can be seen at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHdrZc1qY-s

Thread Information