Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

You have to admit.... not everyone can say " I killed him with a vault!" , a vault door maybe but not a vault.

A 2002 Modern Marvels (as found on the History channel and/or History 2 in the US) episode was called "Banks" and spends the first few minutes with footage of various vaults and doors, including the J.P. Morgan bank's vault at 23 Wall Street. Also shown is an Emil Strauss designed door somewhere in San Francisco that I've seen in stock images but I don't known the location (can anybody help?) --

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strauss Door maybe York - a San Francisco Wells Fargo.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	8321

Unfortunately the time lock is missing in the still image, but present in the Modern Marvels footage. The rest of the episode is about the evolution and history of banking and other security aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    A 2002 Modern Marvels (as found on the History channel and/or History 2 in the US) episode was called "Banks" and spends the first few minutes with footage of various vaults and doors, including the J.P. Morgan bank's vault at 23 Wall Street. Also shown is an Emil Strauss designed door somewhere in San Francisco that I've seen in stock images but I don't known the location (can anybody help?) --

Name:	Strauss Door maybe York - a San Francisco Wells Fargo.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	8321

Unfortunately the time lock is missing in the still image, but present in the Modern Marvels footage. The rest of the episode is about the evolution and history of banking and other security aspects.
    Here is the Modern Marvels - Banks episode on YouTube.

Default Hancock (Will Smith, Charlize Theron)

I never saw the movie Hancock but I did recently catch bits of it on TV. Will Smith is an alcoholic dysfunctional superhero with amnesia (yes, that old plot complication).

He is called upon to resolve a bank robbery and hostage situation that involves a criminal who demands Hancock open the vault, give him the money in it, and guarantee the criminal's safety, using dozens of hostages for leverage.

Problems: the vault (which looks like a round-door Mosler Century) is almost certainly the safe-deposit vault, not the money vault. Mysteriously, it is closed and locked during business hours. And the crooks had time to haul in enough explosives to attach to dozens of people, and enough firepower for a small army. Oh well, it's a Hollywood superhero movie

On the plus side, the banking hall is rather spacious and attractive, and Hancock resolves the situation handily.

The bank used for filming is supposedly in the City Bank Plaza, 505 South Flower Street in Los Angeles. I could not find images to post.

The movie Hancock was on again so I got a couple of (literal) screen shots:

Name:	IMG_7126.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	253.3 KB 
ID:	11370 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7127.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	201.4 KB 
ID:	11371

There is a bit of movie stuff attached to the left side of the door, but it looks to me like the pressure bars are disengaged, and the boltwork handle is in the "open" position. If I'm right, you could simply pull the door open at this point. They probably didn't count on the existence of vaultophiles

Limerick is a long way from Hollywood but this image got my attention:

Name:	Limerick.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	357.3 KB 
ID:	12713

The safe is clearly a prop but I do like the brand name "Keops" which is an alternate spelling of Cheops (AKA Khufu) as in the Great Pyramid of Cheops. This street display was part of an art installation back in September of 2014.

Name:	Lim2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	12714

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/li...anny-1.1918298

For an accurate portrayal of safe cracking see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlT9AJ4GdQs

This is the valt shown in the movie Jumper from the Emigrant Savings Bank at 5 E. 42nd St. in Manhattan

Name:	Emigrant Savings Bank.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	12953

Quote Originally Posted by VaultDoors View Post
    This is the valt shown in the movie Jumper from the Emigrant Savings Bank at 5 E. 42nd St. in Manhattan

Name:	Emigrant Savings Bank.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	12953
    Good spotting. It looks like a Holmes-designed vault made by Remington Sherman or possibly (later) York. But I can't help but express a little skepticism, such doors were built from around 1905 to perhaps as late as 1929. But the Emigrant Savings Bank building was constructed in the late 1960s (http://www.emporis.com/building/emig...orkcity-ny-usa). I wonder if most bank scenes were filmed at Emigrant, but the vault scene was filmed elsewhere? I did notice the building next door, number 1, was the Corn Exchange Bank in 1927 (http://www.emporis.com/building/1-ea...rk-city-ny-usa) so it might be possible it was filmed next door. Hmmm, thoughts?

I got the film location info here: http://onthesetofnewyork.com/jumper.html It is possible the vault was shot at another location but it doesn't say. Could there have former bank at the same location that was built before Emigrant built their bank? If so, they may have used the existing vault in their new building.

Thread Information