Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Impressive Wylk thanks for sharing!

I have not scanned those documents yet. I am still waiting for the last one and then I will scan all three in a row and upload them here.

Default The Anderson Tapes

At least four different safes in this one, opened in a variety of ways including taking the dial off with a chisel!

A little more from Inside Man. I mentioned that the combination locks on the large door might be partially hidden behind the boltwork, below is a screen shot showing this.

In the movie is a smaller vault with a rectangular door (it looks like a York) that houses the safe deposit boxes.

But here's the odd part: At the time such banks were built (1929-1931 in this case) the round-door vault was normally the safe deposit vault, and the huge door provided a striking visual effect for customers along with a large entrance; the vault with the smaller opening was used by the bank for cash and records. But in the movie this is reversed.

My speculation is this: When the building was constructed, usage was as described. In 1989 the bank (now named Citibank) closed this branch at 20 Exchange Place. It is fairly common to remove safe deposit boxes as groups (without opening the boxes) and relocate them to a new vault, rather than try to round up all the owners. This would have left the original round-door vault empty. When the filming crew had to outfit a vault for the movie, they filled the smaller vault with boxes. A very minor "oops" and admittedly just an educated guess.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inside Man 20 Exchange Place NYC 4.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	202.7 KB 
ID:	6686Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inside Man 20 Exchange Place NYC 5.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	241.4 KB 
ID:	6687

Very nice wylk thanks for sharing again!

A nice still from an unknown film is here....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AEB-340-PH...Art_Photo_Imag

Any ideas which film or which bank?

Also, "The Bank Dick" (1940, W C Fields) has a small door with a dial in a couple of scenes. It looks like an ordinary door dummied up to look the part.

I've seen that picture on eBay before, and was unable to track down the location or film. But the finish on the door (which looks real to me) seems to suggest Remington & Sherman as the manufacturer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CU-AEB-340f.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	7142

I just saw the new movie Man of Steel and at one point in the movie Superman gets thrown through a few buildings and ends up at a vault door which his impact caved inward. Got to be cgi but still kind of cool. Sorry, no picture.
    BBE.

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    In mid-2013 the movie "Man of Steel" is to be released. It includes a vault door supposedly damaged by a tornado but I seriously doubt this sort of damage could ever occur. Still, an interesting image.

Attachment 6266 Attachment 6267
    I knew it was in this, Here you go BBE

Coming soon - Superman 2 - Man Of Donsteel (TM)

;)

I finally saw Fast Five, which was mentioned earlier in this thread. As expected the theft of an entire vault was wildly absurd, as was a fanciful swap-out of the real vault for a decoy vault. The mayhem competes well with the final chase scene in The Blues Brothers.

Thread Information