Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

The door is a Herring-Hall-Marvin, a later door judging by the lack of engraving. I have several other images of such doors and some of them only show the time lock, in some the combination locks are quite clear, and in at least one case the locks are "hidden" underneath the boltwork and are simply hard to see.

Cool thanks for the info wylk :)

One of the most ridiculous additions to this list is the movie Fast & Furious 5 (AKA Fast 5, 2011) in which two modified muscle cars pull a vault out of a building and drag it down the street. Obviously they did not use a real vault. Details of how this was filmed are nicely presented at http://jerrygarrett.wordpress.com/20...unt-was-filmed which includes this image:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_5286.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	225.2 KB 
ID:	6496

I'll have to catch this on my DVR some time just for this scene.

In contrast, here is a truck actually pulling a vault out of a bank for demolition. Fairly boring compared to the movie, I'm sure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fec1rImSN1M.

Name:	pullit.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	6497

Just watched "The Pelican Brief" which has Julia Roberts placing some stuff in a safe deposit box inside a strong room. Impressive looking door on the strong room.

Here is a screen shot from the movie The Pelican Brief. I believe this is a Hollar door but it's the first one I've found images for that is not an automatic. It looks like a relatively modern Diebold time lock has been installed, probably to replace the original when it could no longer be serviced.

Name:	IMG_6913b.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	568.5 KB 
ID:	6523

At the beginning of this thread I mentioned the movie Ocean's Eleven and a vault door near the start of the movie. Below is an image the movie door and a real York door from the outside. Aside from being hinged on opposite sides, note the movie door has a handwheel for the pressure-bar system (and one for the boltwork) but there are no pressure bars. Also notice all the safe deposit boxes outside the vault.

The movie briefly shows the interior of the door as well, notice the lack of combination locks. Other details are wrong but they do show the boltwork in a "locked" position.

All in all, the prop guys did an OK job building a replica for the movie, especially when you consider it's only seen for a few seconds. I still am skeptical about how it gets blown open.

The super-duper vault the gang eventually breaks into is of course very imaginative and doesn't deserve much coverage here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6931.JPG   Riverton NJ 3.jpg   IMG_6932.JPG   Manhattan Bank Bldg Queens.jpg  

Ah yes, the one where we are supposed to believe that a series of shaped charges can cleanly cut through all the bolts...

The movie Ocean's Thirteen begins with Rusty Ryan (Brad Pitt) about to crack a vault door. In the first image he has attached some sort of visualization device and is about to pull out and anchor a fabric screen (fluoroscope?) and fiddle with the upper lock's dial. One minor problem here is I've not seen a door with recessed combination lock dials but I'm not a professional vault guy (on either side of the law). Note the door is rectangular.

In the second image Rusty is taking a call on his phone and is about to walk away from the job but we can see the screen looks like an X-ray through the door (you may want to refer to a prior thread here on X-raying). One problem is he's looking at the boltwork, not the lock, which probably would not be helpful. On the left of the screen there appear to be time locks, I wonder what he was planning to do with those. But best of all the boltwork shown is representative of some real doors but only round doors, not rectangular ones which are very different.

Oh Well.

Kudos to the prop/set team for coming up with something interesting. Not great but good enough for something that's on screen for less than a minute.

Name:	IMG_6934.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	161.2 KB 
ID:	6647Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6942.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	6648

Recessed dials are quite common on the Sentry safes.

Rectangular vault doors are common enough. Have several here in Seattle that we service.... it is the round that is a bit less common here.

Default The Shawshank Redemption

There is a brief vault sighting near the end of The Shawshank Redemption. This is a real vault in a real bank but the only strange thing is, why is the door closed during business hours? The first image is from the movie. The second image is from http://www.mansfieldtourism.com/what.../trail-sites-2 which explains that the Huntington National Bank in Ashland Ohio (19 West Main Street) was used to portray the "Casco Bank of Portland"; actor Jim Kisicki poses with the Diebold door. History includes "The private bank was started by the Freer Brothers in 1874. In 1917 the bank became known as The Farmers Bank. The vault's 13-ton door was delivered from Akron by a team of eight horses. To unload the door from the wagon, 100 pounds of bananas were used to grease the planks. The door hinges alone weighed three tons. In 1970 the Farmers Bank became known as the Huntington National Bank.” The bank branch has since closed so access to vaultophiles is unlikely.

Name:	jim_kisicki_movie_bank_manager Ashland OH Shawshank Redemption 1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	318.4 KB 
ID:	6653Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jim_kisicki_movie_bank_manager Ashland OH Shawshank Redemption 2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	534.8 KB 
ID:	6654

Thread Information