Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Bearing in mind the Mosler safe vaults that withstood the Hiroshima nuclear bomb blast, I doubt even Superman could do that much damage to a door.
    Having seen film sets for a prison recently, it's probable that the fake door isn't even constructed of any kind of metal!

Shhhhhhhh! its a secret that it isn't metal!

Quote Originally Posted by Halflock View Post
    Shhhhhhhh! its a secret that it isn't metal!

It never ceases to amaze me just how good they are at making these things though. Walking down a corridor of prison cell doors recently in a converted (barracks) building made up for a TV program, all the doors had modern Chubb prison locks on them. But you had to tap them individually to find that all but two were MDF with plastic handles and escutcheons stuck on! One had been applied to the wrong (hinge) side though - they must have needed it to be visible from a certain angle.
    On the same floor there were several heavily barred, locked grille gates. All very strong looking until you got up to them and found that they were wood frames with plastic tube bars...

To late now he spoiled it

Default The Real McCoy, 1993

I just watched a 1993 movie called The Real McCoy, a poor bank-heist film. Kim Basinger plays a bank robber who is on parole and forced to do one more big bank job. The relevance here is a rather nicely done fake York vault door. My interest in the movie began with the publicity photo, below, seen on eBay. Easily recognized as a York design (I refer to it as York's "cam-plate" boltwork but if there is a common term for this, let me know), as described in US patent 929,907. In the movie we first see the door open and it looks realistic except for the lack of time locks and combination locks (later we see it uses an electronic lock). A few moments later Basinger steps into the vault, and they didn't bother with a ramp to reduce the tripping hazard. Much later in the film we see the door from the inside, locked, with the cam plate properly rotated (continuity error: notice the dark rectangular area on the lower right, that was not in the first image). My last image shows the outside (with their amazing-looking thermal lance) where we see there are no pressure bars, the two in the image are actually for the motorized opening/closing mechanism. The vault interior is amazingly spacious and unrealistic since every square foot costs a lot of money to construct.

Overall I think they did a decent job attempting to duplicate a real door. The rest of the movie is unremarkable unless you're a big Kim Basinger fan.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trm1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	6391Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trm2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	259.9 KB 
ID:	6392Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trm3.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	6393Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trm4.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	204.2 KB 
ID:	6394Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trm5.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	166.6 KB 
ID:	6395Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trm6.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	151.3 KB 
ID:	6396

Did anyone ever mention:

• The Inside Man?

I think the vault being shown in that movie is a real one.

Quote Originally Posted by dicey View Post
    Did anyone ever mention:
    The Inside Man?
    I think the vault being shown in that movie is a real one.
    I haven't seen that movie but I'll add it to my list of movies to watch. According to http://onthesetofnewyork.com/insideman.html much of the movie was filmed in a former bank at 20 Exchange Place. See http://www.emporis.com/building/20ex...orkcity-ny-usa for some details on the building which was once known as the City Bank Farmers Trust Building. It seems probable that original vaults might remain in the building and were used for filming.

Just watch it mate, the safe is real I am pretty sure :)

There you go:

The vault door with a S&G Model 0 as far as I can tell it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.Inside Man Vault S&G Model 0.jpg   002.Inside Man Vault S&G Model 0.jpg  

hm... but the timelock is not connected directly to anything. But I am not that familiar with American safes though...

Thread Information