Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Talking of safe opening on film, in the film "Panic Room" as far as I remember, the guy drills an underfloor combination safe and it shows the wheels rotating and drop arm falling in when he opens it. Someone had obviously researched this quite well for filming.
    Tim

Default I just like things to be right

I think if a thing is going to be done true to life then whatever it is should be shown.
    Otherwise why show it Ok the mass will be none the wiser But I will.
    So I suppose I will just have to look away!
    Regaards To All Ant

Video on YouTube, Connie Francis singing "Goldfinger" with a fairly realistic-looking round vault door. I've no doubt it was a constructed prop but they did a good job except for the lack of boltwork.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49Pl5Kzr8zQ

In mid-2013 the movie "Man of Steel" is to be released. It includes a vault door supposedly damaged by a tornado but I seriously doubt this sort of damage could ever occur. Still, an interesting image.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6036766960_8f645e5b34_b.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	6266 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	suepr3434.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	6267

...health and safety seems to have made them pad the handles :-)

Ok if it was a T20 storm (Doesn't exist on earth) then I could believe it.

You guys should watch the second trailer...
    I think it is shown in the trailer that Superman gets thrown against that vault door by something and I believe that THE man of steel can cause damage like that :D

Default Worst Movie Research Ever

I don't remember just what movie it was, but the premise has the thief/bad guy/good guy? inside the safe by way of a ceiling vent (far fetched enough) and the authorities are on the outside trying to get in and catch him. Of course the tech can't remember the combo (it is an S$G 6120 electronic lock) so the US Marshall pulls out his holster cannon and shoots the keypad! And magically the door swings open! I have been missing out on a lot of fun all these years using a drill rig!

A recent episode of "Elementary" (yet another update of Sherlock Holmes, this time set in the US with Lucy Liu as Doctor Watson) began with an obvious grab of the basic facts behind the Anwerp Diamond Heist as told to a reporter for Wired Magazine. See http://www.wired.com/politics/law/magazine/17-04/ff_diamonds for example, though parts of the story were debunked in a recent book "Flawless: Inside the Largest Diamond Heist in History” by Scott Andrew Selby and Greg Campbell.

On TV, Sherlock cannot figure out how the thieves got past the electronic challenge-response keypad lock and to eliminate a possibility he attacks the keypad with a fire axe. The door does not open but in the end he figures out how it was done and who did it (as well as a couple of related murders).

Quote Originally Posted by ruffus View Post
    I don't remember just what movie it was, but the premise has the thief/bad guy/good guy? inside the safe by way of a ceiling vent (far fetched enough) ...
    The ceiling vent scenario actually was used in Denver in 1982 at a private safe-deposit company. The vent was improperly installed and the thieves simply unscrewed four large bolts on the roof causing the vent assembly to fall into the vault. In this case they were never apprehended; the alarm system was not hooked up because the owner never successfully negotiated a contract with the alarm company. It sounded VERY much like an inside job, or at least inside information. The bad guys were stopped when they opened a box booby-trapped with tear gas.

Thread Information