Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Yes the smoke would have been a big problem on that job. The smoke generated on a hole that size would be immense. But I think the real problem would be getting the thick floor slab to drop straight down and not just wedge itself in. The thought of having to make a cut out that big, on an overhead section with a 5000lbs safe on it, just gives me the willies.

After thinking that problem through a little more, making angled cuts would not only solve the likelyhood of binding, it would also move the cutter further away from the dropping floor slab and safe. Still would be a nasty job tho. I have a mini lance which I play with every once in a while, and have seen a full sized one in use. Very messy

I would prefer the way the Italian job did it. A shaped charge thou. Once the floor is gone the safe would drop. The only reason to use the lance is very little vibration.

I remember watching a movie with Sean Connery in it called Time Lock,were a kid gets locked in a safe vault, a fact someone told me was that was Connery's first speaking role in a movie. the only thing I really didn't understand is why a timelock would be placed were it was in the movie. It had to have been to make the idea believable, because I've never seen one mounted that high and out of the way.

I always liked the scene from the Andy Griffith/Mayberry RFD show where the bank robbers broke into the bank vault by manipulating the lock only to enter and find Sheriff Andy inside waiting for them. Seems the bank lost the combo years ago and had cut a side door into the vault so they could use it. Sheriff Andy thanked the robbers after he arrested them for opening the door after all these years.

The Movie "Thief" starring James Cann and Jim Belushi had the greatest safe burn job in the movies. Great interior bolt work photography also. Guy

Default Sherlock Holmes... the new one with Downey/Law

Just watched this, there is a good view (briefly) of a wall mounted safe with a nice brass plate saying....

Prize Medal London 1852
    G Price and Co
    Patent
    Fire-proof Safe
    + Lock Manufacturers
    Wolverhampton
    Regd. Trademark R370?

There is an escutcheon plate that says...

??????
    Patent Lock

and a nice hexagonal knob for the boltwork.

The safe plays no part in the plot, our hero just checks it to ensure it has not been opened.

Quote Originally Posted by Parautoptic View Post
    Saw a film a while ago, can`t remember title or who was in it but it involved a bank robbery where the manager was forced to divulge the combination to the outer doors of the vault and the hero produced two very nice shiny black S&G dials and pushed them onto the shafts to dial open the outer doors. Is this a common thing? or was the detached dial thing just a plot device? The whole thing got a bit silly when the wall next to the main vault door (timelocked) was breached with a few rounds from a 20mm cannon at point blank range. The robbers were all right though, they had protective goggles!!! Wot a crock....
    Thunderbolt and Lightfoot is the film, starring Clint Eastwood, Jeff Bridges, George Kennedy.

---------- Post added at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

The flaw in the Italian Job is the underwater 'safe cracking', at a depth of say 12 feet, even a small safe door perhaps 2 foot square, would require about 600 pounds of force to pull the door open.

Surely the safe would soon fill with water-if they were that waterproof then you would never beat the suction to open then normally on dryland
    Cheers
    Tom

Eventually of course it would fill, but not in the time frame depicted in the film.

The same physics are in play in a submerged car, if you were in a vehicle that ran off the road into a body of water, you should roll down or shatter the side window, allow the car to fill with water and then swing the door open. Attempting to push the door open from inside the dry car is useless.

Also, because the body is more or less neutrally buoyant, pulling open the door as you would on dry land doesn't work either, you would need to pull the door handle while bracing the other hand on the safe body, otherwise you'll just pull your body to the safe instead of the door to you.

Thread Information