Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Default Not Hollywood, the Goon Show

Default Batperson

about 2 minutes into this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6Zo_BaxTsk

Default And whilst we are doing frightful US wartime propaganda.....

..... 9 minutes into this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik_xGzjP3qI

In the Star Trek (original series) episode "Assignment: Earth" there is a vault in the office of Gary Seven, a human raised by an advanced civilization. The prop folks did a decent job but it is futuristic and the vault itself is a transporter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1260.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	241.4 KB 
ID:	16137 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1261.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	233.7 KB 
ID:	16138

In the first image, Teri Garr is startled when she somehow accidentally causes the door to open; notice that the crane hinge is blended (welded?) to the door's surface. In the second image she is staring at the interior face of the door which includes transporter controls and, I presume, a hand wheel to open the door from the inside (though it automatically opens).

I'd give the door a "B" but within the story, an "F-" for portraying a locking mechanism that can be opened by a tinkering secretary (or was it only daylocked?).

There is a 1975 movie "Diamonds" in which a vault and safe are bypassed to steal diamonds. I haven't seen the movie, this is a publicity still I found on eBay. Note there are two quad-suction-cup devices stuck to the ceiling, apparently to stay above some light beams. A folding ladder might have been more practical? The safe door is unusual, bulging outward like a truncated rectangular pyramid. It looks like it belongs in a movie.

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	16152

reminded me of the 1971 film The Heist, with Warren Beatty and Goldie Hawn. Must be 30 years since I last saw it, and from memory the large(ish) rectangular door featured quite a bit throughout, with Goldie Hawn more than compensating for the usual mistakes in details like pressure bars and boltwork!

The 1971 film was released as "$" (dollars) in the US, and "The Heist" in the UK. I didn't see it but I agree that vintage Goldie helps. Here are a couple of publicity images I found:

Name:	Dollars2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	16173 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dollars.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	16174

I don't think the vault door looks too bad. They didn't go overboard building the prop. The end of the pressure bar should be offset; the lock mounted high on the door is unlikely; in this image it doesn't look like there is any sort of wheel or handle to operate the boltwork; I would expect more bolts holding the hinge plate to the door, and larger ones. Overall I'd give the door a "B+".

I noticed that Gert Frobe co-starred; most will remember him from another sort of heist film, "Goldfinger".

Default Another good one

This includes Lillian Gish and her sister. Quite why there is a hole through the adjacent wall is far from clear to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVSFlSxNvLg

Well, every good English gentleman's house has ramparts and castellations. Obviously every good American gentleman's house has holes for shooting the backroom staff!

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    This includes Lillian Gish and her sister. Quite why there is a hole through the adjacent wall is far from clear to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVSFlSxNvLg

The cover of the book "Peckham Boy" includes a round vault door but it's just a computer-generated stock image, not a real door:

Name:	51+YdP+agnL.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	16544

Kind of a shame considering the book is about "the world's greatest safe cracker."

Here is a different rendering of the same door:

Name:	af61315b818a71e09d29086646cea6b6.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	359.1 KB 
ID:	16545

So, Hollywood (or the book publisher in this case) gets it wrong again. Two pressure bars (asymmetric pressure on the door), no combination locks and no boltwork handle (it looks too new to have been a fully automatic door). Also the sill is way up off the floor. The curved bar between the pressure-bar supports is rather nice as a handle for moving the door.

But it is pretty.

Thread Information