Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    Look around 15 minutes for the most unconvincing mock up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJgaENlDyx8
    Not too bad until they swing round the completely flat, blank internal face!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Al View Post
    Not too bad until they swing round the completely flat, blank internal face!
    Although 1960s so 20 years or so after the film Chubby posted, our Italian friends at Parma A&F yet again, were making these:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	27 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	15352

Just goes to show, Even in the weird world of heavy central bank vault door styling, never say never!

Good point, although there is still a visible bezel in the centre - just.

At the beginning of this thread the movie "Goldfinger" was mentioned. I ran across a video on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxesP0QmJ_I) of the Fort Knox sequence, here are some images.

Name:	FK1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	373.6 KB 
ID:	15391
    Above, an overall view. The door looks reasonable with a crane hinge, pressure bars, and hand wheels. I'm surprised there is a uphill ramp leading to the door considering the very heavy nature of gold.

Name:	FK2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	310.7 KB 
ID:	15392
    Above, a better view of the door as it opens. Things start to fall apart for picky vaultophiles. Notice there are two pressure bars, not three. There are two concentric hand wheels in the center which would normally be one for the pressure system, one for the boltwork; but notice there is also a boltwork handle to the right. Although the door is motor driven there is also a handle (perhaps not so odd in case the drive system fails). The prop folks did get the offset pin on the pressure bar.

Name:	FK3.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	324.2 KB 
ID:	15393
    Above, we can see the door open. A section of the frame has dropped away and is being replaced with a flat plate; I'm not aware of any actual doors that did this but the prop guys did seem to understand this problem with round doors. The boltwork is not visible but there is round glass covering time locks and/or servicing access. The even put a handle on this porthole. And the pressure-bar anchor has a somewhat realistic curved notch for the offset pin. It would appear there are 12 locking bolts which is a small number, and they aren't very big.

The vault itself is absurdly spacious. In another thread I compared it to Doctor Who's Tardis, larger on the inside than the outside.

Name:	FK4.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	267.4 KB 
ID:	15394
    Above, Goldfinger is closing the door. There is a large hood to shield the indicators and there are four realistic-looking combination dials. I'm always surprised that everybody seems to know the combination. Alternatively you could argue the movie only portrays a kind of "day locking" feature where the combinations have already been entered at the start of business, after which it is intentionally trivial to open and close the door as needed. Notice on the right a few rifles chained to a rack with a riveted padlock (open?).

Name:	FK5.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	205.7 KB 
ID:	15395
    Above, the door is being opened by a good guy. This is a better view of the dials and it can just be seen that they are new-looking dials of a very old style, with a large gap between 100 and 0 (or 1).

Compare this with actual images of a Fort Knox (Mosler) door:

Name:	Fort Knox.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	15397 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fort Knox 2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	15396

Overall I'd give the prop guys an "A" but not an "A+".

Default IBM's York-like door

A current ad by IBM includes a brief look at a vault door:

Name:	IBM York 1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	15795 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IBM York 2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	183.8 KB 
ID:	15796 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IBM York 3.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	15797

The ad can be seen on YouTube -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkoZffGHkgo

This door looks largely copied from a real York door. There are several things wrong which is fun to find. In the second image notice the pressure-bar anchors have holes instead of slots. Though the cam plate is shown in the locked position, the bolts are shown retracted. The flat bottom of the door (third image) matches the step in the frame, an interesting solution to an old problem with round doors that nobody ever used (although Vault Structures in Florida does something similar to allow a flat sill). I don't see any hinges to open the glass panels. It looks like they used an automatic door as a model, an interesting clue as to the prop's "heritage". And it's all been painted which is not authentic.

The door looked familiar to me. It seems to be the same prop as was used in the movie Ocean's Eleven (mentioned earlier in this thread and shown again below) but with a new coat of paint. I actually like the way the boltwork is illuminated in the IBM ad.

Name:	Ocean's Eleven 2.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	377.3 KB 
ID:	15798

Default Red Headed League

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    A couple of frame grabs:

Name:	Red1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	15848 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red2.jpg 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	15849

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    A couple of frame grabs:

Name:	Red1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	15848 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red2.jpg 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	15849
    "Sherlock Holmes and the mystery of how he found himself in an episode of Storage Wars..."

Seeing what looks like an early pattern up/over garage door slide vertically upwards into a false wall like that is incredible. The addition of the operating hand wheel from the carriage of a 1930s British lathe was just too much.

I don't think the human mind was intended to take such levels of stimuli or excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVaultage View Post
    Seeing what looks like an early pattern up/over garage door slide vertically upwards into a false wall like that is incredible. The addition of the operating hand wheel from the carriage of a 1930s British lathe was just too much.

I don't think the human mind was intended to take such levels of stimuli or excitement.
    Note also that said hand wheel seems to be very loosely geared to the actual mechanism!

Thread Information