Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Miller (Champion) 6 Lever Pancake Padlock

Pictured below is an example of what is commonly called a "pancake padlock". Whilst the lock case says Millers, close examination of the key will also show the brand name Champion - I believe they made these locks under several names/case patterns.

Some pancake padlocks operate with a warded key, however this example uses levers as the name suggests, in this case six of them, and a push-key.

Once the correct key is pushed all the way into the keyway, the shackle springs open.

I am not certain, but I believe these were made over a considerable period of time. Would anybody be able to suggest an approximate age for this lock?

...mercurial
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Miller's 6 Lever 1.JPG   Miller's 6 Lever 2.JPG   Miller's 6 Lever 3.JPG   Miller's 6 Lever 4.JPG  

I am now confused as to whether Champion made "Miller's" and several other pancake locks, or if Miller's was the manufacturer. The key says both "Champion 6 Lever Pat 3.11-02" and "MILLER Lock Co. PHILA. U.S."

You are correct, these locks were sold under many names and they were made by many different companies. There are different numbers of levers in some and a few even have a different shape. To my knowledge Miller never mixed the brands and consequently your key was originally supplied with a lock that bore the Champion name even though made by Miller.

A lock similar to yours sold on Ebay in 1999 for $67.25US. The Miller Lock Co existed from 1870 to 1932 when it was purchased by Yale. Based upon the patent date you noted the lock must have been made in the 30 year span from 1902 to 1932.
    BBE.

Default another lock I have

I know this thread is for Miller locks but your talking to me so I'll post here, always nice when somebody is actually there. Not looking for value, just if it's interesting. On one side it has a 'W' and a Half Round above it in it's logo and the other it states "Made in Germany" and the Key states "SYSTEM HUS"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new lock.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	3823
    Last edited by Peterorlick; 19-11-10 at 04:12 AM.

If you have questions on any lock we have several persons that KNOW the history of several companies in the last 100 years and that is where it starts to fall down. For every 100 years we go back we lose a bit of the history that we know about locks. As soon as you get to say 300 years in age we know some of the history but not all. Post a picture of the lock from several angles and ask. If we can help we will.

I agree that making a key for an older lock by non destructive means is going to cost some money. But that is what you pay for is the experience to do the job without harming the lock. Do make sure that you say to not drill or harm the lock. Do find a locksmith that has a track record for older locks. ALOA members might not be a bad idea as they are tested but they are not the end all of locksmiths either. Of course it helps if you have the tools for the pancake locks to start with. I do and I would believe that other locksmiths out there do too.

As for the German lock I can't help with that. We will have to wait until someone with more info on that comes on.

In case it is not clear in the pictures, around the curve of the key's bow is the lettering "MILLER LOCK CO.PHILA.USA", below that, on the 'stem' is "Champion 6 LEVER PAT.3.11-02" and then underneath that, just to confuse matters, is a little Miller logo - the name Miller appearing on a Scroll. On the reverse of the key is stamped B 79.

The lock only bears the name Miller's.

As can be seen in the pictures, the lock is also stamped B79 - so it would appear the lock and key have been together since they were made, or at least for a long time, the stamping isn't new.

I don't claim to know about the history of these locks, but given the above, would you still say the key I have did not originally belong to this lock?

...mercurial

Here is detail of the key's bow :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails key-detail.jpg  

Here is a patent by Miller that shows the internals of this style of lock (US Patent number 143990) :

http://www.google.com/patents?id=V2N...age&q=&f=false

EDIT : This is NOT quite the same style of lock - this lock has two sets of levers, however the mechanism is still very similar. I've never seen an example of the lock described in the patent.
    Last edited by mercurial; 22-11-09 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mercurial View Post
    Here is a patent by Miller that shows the internals of this style of lock (US Patent number 143990) :
    The original patent for the standard push key 6 lever we normally encounter is 105.710.
    BBE.

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Peterorlick View Post
    Good link, thanks, OMG, so many locks that almost all look alike, I didn't see a Champion 6-Lever one though, .......
    Yes, I was remiss in that. I used to buy all the Champions that showed up on Ebay, mostly because they were selling for $4 or less. I have around 22 of them that I have been going to make into a cut-away version like the one in the above picture. Consequently I forgot to post one not made into a cut-away. I'll find the next one that sells and post it on my site.

Yours is actually in very good condition and might sell for quite a bit more than $4. Maybe as high as $25 if you get a key.
    BBE.

Default German lock

I want to repost the post I had put up about the German lock I have, where to repost it ????

Thread Information