Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Miller Keyless Lock - Identification/Age Question

Hello All,
    I received and old schwinn bike from my grandfather and locked onto it is a Miller Keyless Lock. I would like to know the age of it if possible. I believe this to be a later example based on the fact that the shank has the word "Hardened" on the front. On the back it says:

Miller Keyless Locks
    Columbus, Ohio
    Patents
    1,825,467 1,929,598

On the Top of the case it has:
    either 3, 8 or B and 2640

Can anyone help me out with a possible age and if possible any tips on getting it opened. I was told the combo is 4123, but despite trying that may different times, right zero, zeft zero etc... its a no go.

I would love to get this opened.

Thanks

churchkeyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140630_081240_083.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	11985Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140630_081216_673.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	11986

The lock's age can't easily be pinned down, I'd have to say between 1945 (when Gougler took over the former J.B. Miller lock company) and the 1970s (when Gougler sold their lock division to a Miller family unrelated to the original J.B. Miller family).

In my experience numbers stamped on the case are not of much help. Often, when a large group of locks was sold to a school or factory, this was a "blind code" specific to that customer. If a student or employee lost the combination, the code could be looked up in a book provided to the institution. I've never heard of anybody acquiring such a book and it would only apply to locks in that group.

Check the shackle carefully. There might be a number stamped on one side, or there might be a number stamped on the underside (a bad location, it turned out, because of wear).

Also, try turning the dial left several turns; does it keep turning or does it stop? Repeat the test, turning right several turns. On some of these locks the starting operation before dialing the combination is to turn left (or right) to zero; on other Gouglers the starting operation is to dial left (or right) to the stop. If the dial does not stop (or if it stops in both directions) then we don't know the starting direction, try both. From there, count the clicks. For example right (or left) 4 clicks, reverse for one click, and so on. The shackle is not spring-loaded, it will not "pop" open like many others do.

Oops, in my just-posted message I assumed the lock was a Gougler but I see it's a later Miller, my bad. That would date it from some time in the 1970s to perhaps early 1980s when the company went out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    The lock's age can't easily be pinned down, I'd have to say between 1945 (when Gougler took over the former J.B. Miller lock company) and the 1970s (when Gougler sold their lock division to a Miller family unrelated to the original J.B. Miller family).

In my experience numbers stamped on the case are not of much help. Often, when a large group of locks was sold to a school or factory, this was a "blind code" specific to that customer. If a student or employee lost the combination, the code could be looked up in a book provided to the institution. I've never heard of anybody acquiring such a book and it would only apply to locks in that group.

Check the shackle carefully. There might be a number stamped on one side, or there might be a number stamped on the underside (a bad location, it turned out, because of wear).

Also, try turning the dial left several turns; does it keep turning or does it stop? Repeat the test, turning right several turns. On some of these locks the starting operation before dialing the combination is to turn left (or right) to zero; on other Gouglers the starting operation is to dial left (or right) to the stop. If the dial does not stop (or if it stops in both directions) then we don't know the starting direction, try both. From there, count the clicks. For example right (or left) 4 clicks, reverse for one click, and so on. The shackle is not spring-loaded, it will not "pop" open like many others do.
    Thanks for the reply. I checked the shackle and can't see any numbers, the underside is badly worn as it has been attached to this bike since probably sometime in 1974. I can rotate it left to 10 and it stops, then I can turn it about a turn and 3/4 and it stops at 6 on the right turn. I tried both ways and no luck. Thinking maybe the combo he gave is wrong.

Churchkey, when you run the combination, are you counting the clicks or counting the numbers on the dial?
    I would try turning all the way left to stop, then right 4 clicks,left 1 click,right 2 clicks,then left 3 clicks and see if the hasp will open (it's not spring loaded to pop open like most modern padlocks). If that dosn't work go all the way right to stop then left 4 clicks, right 1 click,left 2 clicks, right 3 clicks and try that. Like Wylk said, if the lock was part of a group sold to a school or factory, it's entirely possable the combo will be unknown, as no records of those were ever kept or rather preserved by the company. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

You might also try variations like 4132, 4321, and so on.

@oldbiscuit - I am counting clicks, I tried both ways and no luck.

@wylk - I will try some variations, that's a good call.

Hope I can get it I would hate to have to cut such a cool old lock.

Quote Originally Posted by churchkey View Post
    I would hate to have to cut such a cool old lock.
    If you want to create a LOT of extra work for yourself (!) you could cut down the three rivets on the back with a Dremel tool, pry off the back, open the lock with a small screwdriver, determine the combination (not as easy as it sounds), then glue/tape the back on and keep it as an insecure display piece.

wylk, I might go that route. Seems a more honorable way out for neat little piece of history. If it wasn't attached to my bike I would keep trying different combos, but I am spending a crazy amount of time next to that bike. Thanks for the help, I will post if I get it opened.

Churchkey, it looks like from the picture that it is connected to a chain, correct? If it was mine, I'd cut the chain links at the shackle and save the lock. Then if all else fails, I'd open it up as Wylk suggested. I've got one I did that to and I made a cutaway out of it. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Thread Information