Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

"Now on the other hand if that lock was a IHC,IRS or any other of the rarer push key pancake locks" Ok, so how am I suppose to know if this lock falls in these categories ???? have another lock, that might be of intrest, next post

Default another lock I have

I know this thread is for Miller locks but your talking to me so I'll post here, always nice when somebody is actually there. Not looking for value, just if it's interesting. On one side it has a 'W' and a Half Round above it in it's logo and the other it states "Made in Germany" and the Key states "SYSTEM HUS"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new lock.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	3823
    Last edited by Peterorlick; 19-11-10 at 04:12 AM.

If you have questions on any lock we have several persons that KNOW the history of several companies in the last 100 years and that is where it starts to fall down. For every 100 years we go back we lose a bit of the history that we know about locks. As soon as you get to say 300 years in age we know some of the history but not all. Post a picture of the lock from several angles and ask. If we can help we will.

I agree that making a key for an older lock by non destructive means is going to cost some money. But that is what you pay for is the experience to do the job without harming the lock. Do make sure that you say to not drill or harm the lock. Do find a locksmith that has a track record for older locks. ALOA members might not be a bad idea as they are tested but they are not the end all of locksmiths either. Of course it helps if you have the tools for the pancake locks to start with. I do and I would believe that other locksmiths out there do too.

As for the German lock I can't help with that. We will have to wait until someone with more info on that comes on.

[QUOTE=Peterorlick;5759 Ok, so how am I suppose to know if this lock falls in these categories ???? have another lock, that might be of intrest, next post[/QUOTE]

The push key lever locks are typically marked with a brand or a trade name. There were also models that were made for specific end users and had the logo or a special marking cast into the face of the lock. You can find many examples of that type of lock at the link.
    BBE.

push lever

Default Champion 6 Lever padlock

there are absolutely no other visible markings on this lock unless the might be on the locking mechanism itself, say when it's open ? Sorry about my other message, guess I might have come over a bit snarky, didn't mean to be. Good link, thanks, OMG, so many locks that almost all look alike, I didn't see a Champion 6-Lever one though, I'll try attaching the figure, first time I sent a PDF, should have just sent a JPG.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chanpion 6-Lever Bras Padlock.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	3824
    Last edited by Peterorlick; 19-11-10 at 06:37 PM. Reason: screwed up on title

Quote Originally Posted by mercurial View Post
    Here is a patent by Miller that shows the internals of this style of lock (US Patent number 143990) :
    The original patent for the standard push key 6 lever we normally encounter is 105.710.
    BBE.

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Peterorlick View Post
    Good link, thanks, OMG, so many locks that almost all look alike, I didn't see a Champion 6-Lever one though, .......
    Yes, I was remiss in that. I used to buy all the Champions that showed up on Ebay, mostly because they were selling for $4 or less. I have around 22 of them that I have been going to make into a cut-away version like the one in the above picture. Consequently I forgot to post one not made into a cut-away. I'll find the next one that sells and post it on my site.

Yours is actually in very good condition and might sell for quite a bit more than $4. Maybe as high as $25 if you get a key.
    BBE.

Default German lock

I want to repost the post I had put up about the German lock I have, where to repost it ????

Your in the right area,you can post it either here or in "other padlocks". The main thing you should have done was start a new thread rather than add to an existing thread.
    Mark A. Billesbach

Default Something of interest

Here is a Champion lock item of interest. Of course it isn't really a lock, just a replica, but still cool.
    BBE.

Bookmark-Lock Champion 6 Lever - COPY-A Must See!! - eBay (item 360242225970 end time Dec-04-10 23:15:56 PST)

Default replica?

How can you differentiate this as a replica from an origonal?

Thread Information