Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default S&G model #3 timelock.

This is an extremely fine and early example of a Sargent & Greenleaf model No: 3 timelock circa 1876. There are a number of features which confirm the early design. The fine engraving and large proud hinges together with the 46 hour movements all point to such an early date.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SV300041.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	363.7 KB 
ID:	1206

The movements are a little later than the case, being circa 1880, the original ones would have had black dials. Note also the absence of the ' Geneva Gear ' which prevents over-winding of the mainspring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SV300040.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	397.7 KB 
ID:	1207

My thanks for John Errol, for dating this lock and for parting with it.

Default My S&G Model 3

Here are pix of my much later S&G Model 3 time lock. I was also fortunate to receive the provenance as to which bank it came from, when & hiow. (Brooklyn, NY, 1972, Chemical Bank, from businessman next door to branch being demolished)

Jack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Closed front movement detail.jpg   Closed left side hinge detail.jpg   Front open detail of serial number.jpg   Front open detail of serial number-2.jpg   Front open detail of serial number-3.jpg  

Front open detail of serial number-4.jpg   Front, door closed.jpg   Front, door open.jpg   Front, door open, right.jpg   Front, open, left wheel detail.jpg  

Front, open, right wheel detail.jpg   Rear-side right.jpg  

Default S&G Time Lock Value?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sullivan View Post
    Here are pix of my much later S&G Model 3 time lock. I was also fortunate to receive the provenance as to which bank it came from, when & hiow. (Brooklyn, NY, 1972, Chemical Bank, from businessman next door to branch being demolished)

Jack
    I'm hoping to liquidate part of my lock collection Can anyone give me an idea of this S&G Type 3 time lock's retail value? Thanks!

Jack

Oh wow, what a beautiful piece. If I only had a bunch of spare cash just sitting around

Default S&G Model 3 time lock on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sullivan View Post

Jack
    I'm whittling down my collection in order to concentrate on my core interest of WW2 military radar ECM & IFF. The eBay listing is #
    252388874292. This lock is in like new condition & would make a wonderful addition to anyone's collection.

Jack

Default eBay auction for S&G Type 3 bank vault time lock

This beautiful time lock would sit forever as a Buy It Now, so I've relisted it in 10-day auction format, listing #252418071762.

Jack

Thread Information