Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Locks and Lockmakers of America

I picked up a copy of a book titled Locks and Lockmakers of America by Tom Hennessey last spring. Tom is the curator at the Lock Museum of America in Terryville, CT. I enjoyed reading this book, which gives a brief history of many lockmakers and especially highlights those from the New England area.

I purchased my copy directly from Tom, but I believe this book may be purchased through the museum.

After having the wonderful time talking to Tom for 3 hours at his VERY nice place. Found out from him I have original Byron Phelps unit lock. The amount of information that man has in his head is just a wonder.

I looked at the book and everytime I think about buying it I don't have the money... then when I have the money I don't think about it. LOL

Default Is mine in there?

Hi George,

Been looking for any books that have information on the Star Lock Works in Phil. PA. The company was called Hillebrand & Wolf. I have a brass lever padlock, stamped Pat.Mar.70 which in fact was invented by Mr. Hillebrand and patented on that date. I have a copy of his patent submission and the patent number, 100402. I can't seem to find any information on the company except where it was located. If Star Lock Works or Hillebrand or Wolf is in this book I will look for it. Thank a lot. Reba729

Membership & Books

I do not know if it is in there, but there is a padlock book.

Default Star Lock Works

Quote Originally Posted by Halflock View Post
    Membership & Books

I do not know if it is in there, but there is a padlock book.
    A couple brief references to Star Lock Works can be found in Locks and Lockmakers of America, Revised Third Edition. There is a reproduction of a Star Lock Works catalog, c1900, that was originally available from the late Don Stewart of Key Collectors International. These and many others can be purchased from Richard Chenovick in Santa Barbara, CA, eMail: rchenovickATjuno.com change AT to @.

Pete

Thread Information