Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thumbs down Chubb safe pre 1945

I do own a safe manufactured by chubb's and i know it is pre 1945,but i am not sure what year exactly.The serial number is 69863W,and either belonged to Watson&Youell or was sold by them in Romania.Is there anybody who can help me?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails poze maya 2008 ultimele 001.jpg   poze maya 2008 ultimele 002.jpg  

The serial number suggests that the safe was made in 1914.

Smile Thank you

I would really like t know as much as posible about this item,therefore i am attaching some more thumbnails
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails poze maya 2008 ultimele 005.jpg   poze maya 2008 ultimele 007.jpg   poze maya 2008 ultimele 008.jpg  

There is not going to be much more information to find. Watson & Youell would have been the Chubb agent / importers. If you can contact the existing Chubb agent and have them contact the Chubb head office in the UK they may be able to look the serial number up in the records and find out exactly when the safe was made and possibly who it was made for.

According to the Chubb website the agent for Romania is :
    Mr Les Milne
    Responsible Export Manager for:
    Iceland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Hungary, Romania, Cyprus, Albania, Bosnia-Hercegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Greece, Israel, Macedonia, Moldava, Romania, Serbia-Montenegro, Slovenia, Kazachstan, Uzbekistan, Azerbadjan, Georgia, Armenia, Kyrgistan, Turkmenistan
    les.milne@gunnebo.com
    Phone: +33 (0) 6 72 782085

Default Thank you

Thank you very much for the moment!I will try to get in touch with Les and I will post back what I will find out:razz:

Default Chubb Safe

Got an email from Mr.Les Milne,stating that it was made on 22 0f May 1914,it is a standard model and where it was dispatched(London).Now my next step is to find out its value(or its potential value)Would you have any suggestions?Thank you

Value is always a contentious point when it comes to old safes, after all there are very few people who collect them and as such it's value as an antique is limited. There are also quite a lot of them around as they tend to survive rather well.

I see plenty of safes listed on ebay for example with high (crazy) prices. I've only seen one or two that are very special actually sold.

Given that the one you have is a standard model it is, realistically only going to be worth a small premium on whatever second hand safes of the same size and quality normally sell for in your locality. As such some research into the market price for second hand safes at local locksmiths etc should provide a baseline.

So the safe is probably worth €60 and the retailers nameplate about €30

Thank you very much guys:-P

Thread Information