Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Default Thx, Mark for the speedy reply

Quote Originally Posted by oldbiscuit View Post
    Ghostlight, Please follow the thread http://www.antique-locks.com/questio...-requests.html

and I'll see what I can find out for you. Please be a little patient with me as my personal computer with all my code info on it crashed and I'm now using a back up computer.Hopefully in the next week I'll have my old computer back and I can look up the info for you. Mark
    Mark,
    Not sure what you mean by follow the thread. I've read all of the Q&As and was fascinated. If you need a pix of the lock, that will take some doing as I will have to
    borrow digital camera to comply. Maybe I missed something. Thx,
    DJ
    (Ghostlight1@hotmail.com)

Yes a picture is required as outlined in the link that he gave.

Thx. I'll working on an upload of my gougler.

Mark has been gracious with so many in getting click combos
    for red dot gouglers did something occur to required a pix/ID?
    Curious.

Not really, just a step to slow down problems.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostlight View Post
    did something occur to required a pix/ID?
    The problem with such a request is validating that it's from an owner trying to open his/her own lock, as opposed to a pest trying to access what is not his/her own. If you go to a real locksmith in person, you could hand over the lock; proof enough (not absolute proof, nothing is). But over the internet, what constitutes proof of ownership? A photograph gets a little closer than a simple "how do I open a 973 Gougler?"

Jim

Understood, Wylk and wise. From reading more and more about the subject, what you write makes sense (security, etc.). Because I don't have a cell or digital camera, I will have to arrange for someone to assist me w/same. In the meantime, I've been investigating locksmiths nearby where I can physically take the lock; however, so many relate they've computerized and don't have the Reed books or they are buried in boxes in one's garage where access is difficult. A fun challenge.
    An interesting mystery: my brother who still uses his Gougler (I didn't know this) has the exact combo that I believed was mine. We're attempting to wade through memories of how a 3-click combo stayed in my memory as being my combo--not his. The quest continues.

ok, Mark. I hope I can upload these photos. I did manage to talk to a local
    locksmith with Reed books and he said my combo wasn't there. I hope you
    can unravel the mystery and secure my combo. many thx - hope to hear soon
    and that you got your computer up and running with no lost data. Many thx.
    PS Ignore the photo dates...the digital wasn't set for current date.

DJ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gouglerA.JPG   gougler:b.JPG  

Ghostlighter, can you show a close up pic of the shackle number? Your locksmith may be correct in that the code isn't listed. I've heard that Gougler made locks for companies and schools with different code stampings on them that would only be available to those entities,hence no modern day listings.However,I've run across one lock that didn't have the code number stamped very deep on the shackle and at first look it appeared to be a two digit code,but on closer examination you could just make out the third number and the code was found. Hope I can help, Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Hey Mark,
    Thanks for getting back so soon. I'll have to borrow the digital again to get
    you a close up of the shackle but I'm positive it's only the 2-digit 92. No
    third digit.
    I even used a metal polish to bring it up. It was my high school lock and the school
    has since closed its doors. I wouldn't know where to begin to track down those
    files kept by the school. Most likely long gone.
    Failing this, is there any "trick" to discovering the click combo or am I relegated
    to the impossible task of process of elimination?

DJ

ghostlight, unfortunatly I'm afraid your probably out of luck. There are a lot of different combos ,3,4,5 digit ,RLR,RLRL,RLRLR and LRL,LRLR,LRLRL. Some start from zero,some start from dead stop left,or dead stop right. I'm thinking your brother has your lock(hence the reason you remember the combo) and you have his. I'de try to talk him out of it if it was me. Good luck, Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Thread Information