Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Hi Mark,
    The combo did not work. Is there a second option?

Thank you for your help.

This is the first Gougler lock that I have seen or played with. I looked for the code in my Reed Code Books, however I do not have the Volume 4.

Thanks again,

Jay
    ---------- Post added at 03:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 AM ----------

JDREEDY, here I go again. Try from zero go,L5-R6-L5-R4. Pull the bail up when you get the last number dialed in. Be very diligent when dialing the combo in. If you go past a number (click) by even a little bit ,it will throw it off and you'll have to start over from the begining. Good luck and be sure to let us know how it worked. Mark
    Last edited by JDREEDY; 29-06-10 at 03:31 PM.

JDREEDY, take a closer look at the bail number,it should be a 3 or 4 digit number.If you can, post a close up pic of the 2 numbers you found and I'll try again, Mark

Mark,
    Here are a couple of photos. Looking at the shackle I see 19 clearly, however I can vaguely make out a smaller 2 a couple of spaces then 47. With that said it looks like
    192 47. The stamping of the 2 47 is smaller and not directly in line with the 19.

Also, what would the slot in the bottom of lock be used for?

Thanks again!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red Dot 005.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	3306

Name:	Red Dot 006.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	3307

Name:	Red Dot 008.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	3308

Jay, I'm running out of options,but try one more. L0-R3-L6-R4. The slot in the bottom was for a flat key. These locks are different than most in that they have just 1 round wheel with a series of grooves cut in the face. There is a cam with 2 or 3 pins that follows the grooves when the wheel is turned to unlock.The key is a oddball shaped flat key that goes straight up. I've never seen a key in use on one of these but have seen the locks opened with them, Mark

Mark,
    No luck. Email me at locksmith@peoplestel.net with your address and I will mail this lock to you.

Thanks for your diligent efforts!

Jay

My impression on these flat-key Gouglers is that the shackle is not stamped with the factory blind code for the combination, but rather with a number that either identifies the customer or is the key code. These were typically sold to schools and/or factories.

The numbers on the body then identified, to that customer, the specific lock and most likely the blind code for the combination, in a list that had been provided to that customer.

Thus, there is probably no way to determine the combination from what's stamped on the lock unless you are the original customer.

This is in contrast to other Miller/Gougler/Miller locks where the factory code is stamped into the shackle.

are these locks pickable? or manipulative?
    Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    My impression on these flat-key Gouglers is that the shackle is not stamped with the factory blind code for the combination, but rather with a number that either identifies the customer or is the key code. These were typically sold to schools and/or factories.

The numbers on the body then identified, to that customer, the specific lock and most likely the blind code for the combination, in a list that had been provided to that customer.

Thus, there is probably no way to determine the combination from what's stamped on the lock unless you are the original customer.

This is in contrast to other Miller/Gougler/Miller locks where the factory code is stamped into the shackle.

There is no way to pick or manipulate them that I am aware of. I do have an idea for a "master" key of sorts for the flat-key variety but I've spent all of 2 minutes thinking about it :-)

Jim

Lol, well, mine doesn't even have a keyhole, so I'm outta luck there too. :( I wonder if I was to get it open, if I could read the combo through the shackle hole? (food for thought)
    thanks anyway.
    Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    There is no way to pick or manipulate them that I am aware of. I do have an idea for a "master" key of sorts for the flat-key variety but I've spent all of 2 minutes thinking about it :-)

Jim

Jim, I have one Gougler that I picked up that someone had drilled the rivets out of on the back. I went ahead and took it apart to see for myself how they were made. After studying it I figured out 2 completely different codes that would open it , One code was a 4 digit LRLR and the other was a 8 digit RLRLRLRL. Needless to say after figuring it out, I looked it up and the 4 digit LRLR was the same one that was listed in the Reed coce book. Just for my own ammusement I took the back plate and cut big openings in it then reassembled it using JB Weld on the rivets so now I have a working cutaway padlock. As far as trying to manipulate one open, I think it would pe a pretty difficult task. Having said that,there was a guy that used to post on here a lot last year that went by " amazing01 " that claimed to have been able to manipulate these locks open but he never said how he did it. It should be noted that he's a professional escape artest by trade. Mark

Thread Information